Sinister: Goodbye, I'm leavin'

Robin Stout robinjstout at xxx.com
Wed Aug 29 13:09:57 BST 2001

  Yes, it's been a long time, but it's time to go. As I'm moving I'll be
email-less and listless for a while so I've decided to unsubscribe. I love
this list, the people on it are all so lovely and entertaining, even though
some of you don't post half as much as you should. You know who you are.
Actually, it's not so emotional. I'll probably reappear in a few months, I
don't know. I just thought it'd be rude to leave without saying goodbye.

  David mentioned his favourite sunset a while ago, and so did PeetSketch
Steve. They were both city sunsets and they reminded me of an incredible
view I saw in, of all places, Birmingham a fortnight ago. When you leave New
Street station the first thing you see are six or seven tall black cranes
that descend from the sky and root themselves behind a blue plywood screen.
This is the site of the old Bull Ring, quite an extraordinary place in
itself, which has been demolished - ripped apart by those cranes - to make
way for the city's brave cosmic Future. Only a concrete crater remains.
There used to be a route through the Bull ring to the market but now a
makeshift bridge crosses from one side of the crater to the other, between
the cranes, and the folk of Birmingham sit on it, in their wheelchairs and
tracksuits, looking through the wire mesh at the metal and plastic bursting
out of the ground. It'll be gone soon, filled in and replaced by a "new
opportunity", so catch it while you can.

  In Birmingham I'm always accosted by Scientologists who try to brainwash
me. They ask me to come to a room for a questionnaire. Has anyone ever done
this? I'd like to say yes sometime but I'm worried I might become
BRAINWASHED, and ONE OF THEM.

  In the library I was reading a book and a woman sat beside me with a
carrier bag. Out of it she pulled a pack of Wagon Wheels and began chomping
on them. Whenever I glared she smiled at me and sat back, her stomach
bulging and her fat legs either side of the table legs. I couldn't read my
book anymore so I left. It was horrible.

  Typically content-less.

  Bye, then. Hope I see you again.

  Robin xx