Sinister: The case of the runaway thread rumbles on...

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 29 16:58:29 BST 2001

Idles explained to the assembled throng what she'd managed to piece together
so far.

"It seems the scmindie case all came to light when Honey disappeared. Then I
found out that Murdoch was about to run off to Rio; and now Robin has been
taken away as well. Maybe he got too close to the truth - who knows. Looks
like we'll never find out now - I'll be suprised if we see him alive again."

A gasp of horror came from all in the room, except Murdoch, who remained
eerily quiet.

"Photojenni - you'd better watch out, you're next on the list. That message
you got from Miss Crush - that's just a sham. They try to entice people to a
secret rendezvous point, then Blam!, they hit you on the back of the head,
and you wake up in a car crusher. They've got loads of people already. I
remember when Keith Watson used to get loads of messages from this Miss
Crush, and he's not been heard of for ages."

"But who's behind it all?" asked the ugly dame, wishing the narrator would
stop arsing around and just get to the bloody point.

"Well, I've got some ideas."

The assembled cast groaned, because they'd been wishing someone would tell
them once and for all so they could all go off and be smutty together.

"I don't think the evil Chu is the evil mastermind he likes to portray
himself as. He's not the one pulling the strings. Otherwise he wouldn't have
dared go to the gang's recruitment meeting in London on Saturday. You've got
to make sure you don't end up going to one of those, they'll brainwash you,
and before you know it you've been dragged along to their initiation
ceremony - Tigermilking I think it's called - and you'll never be normal
again."

"Anyway, as I've been investigating, I've kept coming across the same code
letters - B&S. Well, I think I've cracked it - it stands for Buggery and
Sodomy. There's a big paedophilia ring going on, and I think that man is
behind it."

She slowly raised her hand, and pointed at...

...Murdoch.

He jumped up, protesting. "It's not true! I swear, I didn't do anything!"

"Go on then, defend yourself!" Sunset snarled.

"Look, I'm perfectly innocent. B&S stands for Belle and Sebastian. We're a
pop group."

"What, named after a crap French cartoon?" queried Idles.

"We haven't got time to go into that now. Someone's life might be in
danger!"

Idles gave him a withering stare. "Why don't you just tell us everything,
from the start."

Murdoch started sobbing. "Everything was going so well. The band were
getting good, we'd even started practicing for a change. But then one member
- let's call him Stuart David, because that's his name - got upset. It turns
out this Canadian gal had dumped him, and she was making moves on me. Boy,
she was hot. I can see why he was upset. But he just flew off the handle,
and walked out, swearing revenge on us all.

"We didn't believe him at first - how can you be scared of anyone who just
goes round shouting 'pish' all the time? But he started getting serious.
When we got somebody in to replace him, we had to pretend she was a boy -
Bob, I think we called her - to protect her. Then there was the incident on
the beach, but let's not get into that. Now, he's getting really mad - he's
started going for our fans."

"What, people actually like that twee crap you sing?" interrupted the ugly
dame.

"Shut up, toots," said Idles, who was feeling very embarrassed about getting
the whole thing completely wrong. That is, if this Murdoch fellow was to be
believed - still, he sounded pretty convincing. She decided to hear him out.

"He needed some way to get to them, but first he had to get Honey out of the
way. That was alarmingly easy - he just had to tell her there was a perfume
sale going on in France. Then he got down to his dirty business. Sure, some
people tried to escape his clutches. Sam changed his name to Asm. Rachel
went even further - she got a sex change operation and started calling
herself 'Archel'."

The ugly dame cringed at the realisation that the gorgeous bloke she'd been
with the other night wasn't all he was cracked up to be.

"But a few people haven't escaped his clutches, as he goes on his evil plan
to take over the minds of the fans, and persuade them to buy his pathetic
excuse of a book.

"That's all I know, we'll have to find him quick before he gets anyone else.
I'll drive, I've got this great new car..."

"But how will we find him?" asked V bird, casually stroking her hamster.

"Last I heard, he was living at 10 Roddington Place. Let's go!"

But Idles wasn't having any of it. "Why should we believe you? You're still
the same person with an account at the sex-toy shop, you've even written a
song about it. And we've heard what you do to people with your carriage
clock."

Murdoch implored her. "I implore you" he said.

"I don't trust you. Who knows where you'll take us in that car of yours?"

"Look, Idles, if you come with me, I'll give you a snog."

"Oh, OK then, let's go!"

And so, our intrepid investigators headed out into the night, not knowing
what dangers awaited them...