Sinister: ash destroyed my trousers!

chris perriman room_30 at xxx.com
Wed Aug 29 22:26:44 BST 2001

here's a quick rundown of the bands i saw at the leeds festival at the
weekend

friday:
-boy hits car - american rock - 6/10
-fuzz light years - what posers - 5/10
-electralane - i am in *love* with the guitarist - 8/10
-regular fries - not as good as they used to be - 7/10
-alien ant farm - great fun - 8/10
-mark b and blade - uk hip hop comes into it's own - 9/10
-lowgold - better than last time i saw them but problems  with the sound -
8/10
-cat power - disapointing, she's so good on record - 6/10
-clearlake - getting better each time i see them 8/10
-stephen malkmus - i haven't heard much pavement stuff but i liked it - 8/10
-mercury rev - absolutely blinding, jonathan donahue as spooky as ever -
10/10

saturday:
-seachange - won a competition to play, really good, i bought a demo - 8/10
-the parkinsons - portuguese punk rock, tentpole climbing at midday - 7/10
-ikara colt - liked what i saw - 8/10
-the moldy peaches - catchy, funny, vital - 10/10
-lo fidelity allstars - are they still going? - 7/10
-mull historical society - great tunes - 9/10
-the strokes - the great white hype, they were ok actually - 8/10
-i am kloot - fantastic songmanship and a fantastic voice - 9/10
-ash - the *best* band to crowd surf to (see subject line) - 10/10

sunday:
-terris - should have been in a tent not the main stage for better
atmosphere, still great though - 9/10
-the soft parade - for ones so young (16 & 18) absolutely amazing - 10/10
-gorky's zygotic mynci - still cracking out classic tunes, wooh! poodle
rockin' - 9/10
-elbow - they've discovered distortion and learned to rock - 8/10
-cooper temple clause - go and see this band, i love them - 10/10
-supergrass  - along with ash and SFA this band defined my teenage years -
9/10
-teenage fanclub - what a great, great band - 10/10
-mogwai - what better way to end the festival - 10/10

highlights:
getting the button and zip pulled off my trousers crowdsurfing to ash so i
had to stand and watch the rest of the gig holding my trousers up, mogwai
ending with 15 minutes of feedback, teenage fanclub doing 'sparky's dream',
the guitarist from electralaine (mmm i want to have her babies), meeting the
moldy peaches (yes CarsmileSteve, you heard me), the bassist from the cooper
temple clause climbing the twenty foot high speakers and leaping off, not
sleeping for 32 hours from sunday morning to monday afternoon and watching
the sun come up (and wandering around leeds bus station in a daze), the
patak's curry bus and the good weather.

bad points:
price of food (£2.50 for a manky burger and £1.50 for a bottle of coke),
terris not doing 'searching for the switches', mogwai not doing 'xmas
steps', no Belle & Sebastian, getting given a '1 free pint' token and then
being told they could only be used in the backstage bar and the fact that
gorky's clashed with Hell is for Heroes (ex-symposium members) *and* Frank
Black (i had to plump for gorky's, sorry).

--------=+#+=--------

another one for the 'songs that sound like B&S songs' file.  there was a
song being played during the band changes in the evening session tent which
had the chorus 'who would fall in love with a chicken with his head cut
off'. you can sing The Model over the top and the melody is very similar
also. if anybody can tell me what this song is i'd be most grateful.

--------=+#+=--------

jenowl said about accents in posts.  i read all posts in my voice *except*
jenowl's posts which i read in a glaswegian powerpuff girl voice.

--------=+#+=--------

i saw 7 b&s teeshirts @ leeds this weekend, was any of them yours?

--------=+#+=--------

last night i dreamt that david bowie had invited me, along with loads of
other pop stars, to his house to play on a new song he was recording, i was
to play the gong but he then decided that we were all going to sing but i
told him "dave" i said "i'm not singing the high bits"

then i nearly got run down by a train

then i had a bag chock full of cocaine and i'd lost the key to the padlock
and the gang was blaming me and were going to kill me!

and this is tame for one of my dreams

--------=+#+=--------

thus spake jarkko frantila:
>Could you ever go out with someone who doesn't have the right hairdo, the
>right clothes, the right albums in his/her cd- collection?

i wouldn't go out with anybody with a cd collection, it's vinyl only for me
(is that indie snobby enough for ya? just call me mister pretentious)

--------=+#+=--------

sorry for being so long and fragmented but thanks for reading
love and KenChu
(damn, he slipped in there at the last moment;
and that sounded vaguely smutty, where are U ListDomLisa?)
Pez*

ps. my band Flynn have some gigs lined up so if you're in Newcastle then
please come:
27th Sept @ the cooperage w/ 'Calvoon' and 'The Velatones'
5th Oct @ the cornerhouse w/ 'Neil, Your Bedroom's On Fire'

pps. if anybody is on MSN messanger and wants someone new to talk to please
ask me!
room_30 at hotmail.com is my addressss

ppps. does anybody know where i would be able to get hold of a badge making
machine coz i want to make button badges of pere ubu and the sugarcubes (and
belle and sebastian and flynn of course)

www.pez.com - the wonderful world of pez ;)

ivorytowers.8m.com - ivory towers records

www.drpez.com - Dr Pez, Spain's premier fish doctor (i think)