Sinister: A song for the lonely

JAMES GILMER patchworkz7 at xxx.com
Fri Aug 31 02:53:45 BST 2001

Hello Sinister people,

The subject line comes by way of the Drugstore song by the same same.
Everyone go out and buy "White Magic for Lovers" because it's as good as it
gets.

Anyways, a lot of people have mentioned how lonely they are and how they
wish they could talk to this girl or that boy. I went through a shy stage at
one point in my life, but I got over it rather quickly. I suppose there's
not much to be said that shy people haven't heard before, you all know the
drill; don't be afraid, take a chance and talk to people, and so on and so
forth.

It's a bit like telling a depressed person to cheer up, nine times out of
ten the depressed person nods and forces a grin and then goes back to
sulking, but there's still that one person who smiles and laughs and gets on
with it. So I'll say it again to the shy people; come out and play with us.

Take chances and be daring and brave and silly and stupid and all that, all
the things they tell us as kids that are bad and childish (funny that,
children are forever being told they're acting like children, isn't that the
way it's supposed to be?). Talk to the girl you've always fancied, smile at
the boy you've always wanted to smile at.

Sure, some won't return the smile, these people are not worth your
attention. Eventually you'll find your smile returned and your hello greeted
with a friendly "Hi".

Because if you don't get out and smile and say hello and enjoy the trees and
the cities and the sky and the sea and the people then what was the point of
all this (in the general sense of life)?

It's only a ride, and it goes up and down and is sometimes loud and scary
but it's still only a ride, and sooner or later it stops.

Oh, and make no mistake, people (even your friends) will kick you in the
teeth from time to time, it happens, it's an annoying part of life and the
most you can do is shrug and move on. Those people who'll knock your
confidence and kick you in the teeth (metaphorically speaking) can't hurt
you unless you let them. Meet them with a smile and a shrug and their power
over you melts away like sugar in the rain.

And despite your best intention you'll kick someone's teeth in and act the
prat and say stupid things and do stupi things and all that, but that's life
and it's annoying but it doesn't pay to obsess over it.

Bugger all that, I'd rather meet the world with a filthy grin and a laugh,
because I don't want the people who think Fear is Good win. The fear that
keeps us shy and quiet and not out there singing songs and doing brilliant
things.

California is calling to me, and it looks like I'll be heading out that way
to catch a few shows and do a bit of travelling with a fellow listee. I'm
quite excited about it.

I'm almost as excited about the Great Lakes Sinister Picnic happening this
weekend in South Bend, Indianna. If any of you who are planning to attend
have questions on how to get there, drop me a line and I'll instruct you as
best I can.

Be Sinister...

Jim