Sinister: First audition to "I'm Waking... "(plus KARATE and answer to Daniela)

arlequim at xxx.br arlequim at xxx.br
Mon Dec 3 21:02:16 GMT 2001

Ok, yesterday I sat in front of the stereo, turned it on softly and, while I
was preparing my own dinner (my parents are travelling and I'm home alone),
the "I'm waking up to us" audition began.

I try not to make this first audition too solemn, because the more solemnity
you allow things to have, more disappointing they get in the end - this is
what usually happens with first dates and first working days. So, I tried to
listen to single casually, as if it had been part of my collection for years
and years.

The result was just satisfying, what is terribly strange... I usually feel a
perfect connection between B&S songs and my own life, but, this time, it was
only satisfying. I listened in random mode, so started with "Marx and
Engels". The song is pretty, undeniable... pretty, fluffy, adjusted. But was
that enough?

The second, in my random mode, was "I Love My Car", and I found it was
excessively long and a little too monochordic. When I listened again this
morning to this particular track, I liked it better, but I don't like the
sensation of "assimilation" to songs. I didn't have to assimilate "Jonathan
David", and either any track from "Fold Your Hands...". They all just
slapped me in the face and mind, some a little more enthusastically, some a
little less... but I didn't have to experiment "assimilation".

Then "I'm Waking Up to Us" showed, and I considered, at first, the best. ok,
I agree it may be because it's the "poppiest", the more easy-listening style.
But that was the one that made me feel something real. Stuart sang in the
beginning so dramatically I thought it was going to turn into a very corny
song, but then things started to fit and I realized the track was really
fine. The best, I guess...

I don't discard the possibilty that I am going to say that "Waking..." is
fabulous, until the end of the year. Impressions are mutable, and that's the
reason for calling them "impressions" and not "convictions". But that's what
I'm experiencing now.

Beto

P.S. : KARATE is a very nice band! Past year I ordered "In Place of Real
Insight", but the guy never brought it. Complete frustration! I have to
consolate with my subterranean mp3 files until a new opportunity appears.

P.S.(2): Daniela, I bought my imported edition through a small store from
Rio, but you can find the local edition in São Paulo, at FNAC Pinheiros. The
price is R$10,90. If you want, you can order online from FNAC. Their
shipping and handling service is ok!