No subject

Rener iodowd at xxx.com
Tue Dec 4 13:46:44 GMT 2001

hello,

i got a big fat warning from yahoo this morning,
telling me i was nearing my 6MB storage limit and to
get my arse in gear and clean out my mailbox.
unfortunately this happened at a time when i was very
busy at work, so i was forced to do a rather thorough
job of it and get rid of the pile of mails i'd stocked
up to reply to in one fell swoop as soon as i had
time. so no individual mail comments, sorry - although
two or three managed to catch my attention as they
whizzed past me into the dustbin ...

pinefox, your piece on george harrison knocks the
socks off anything else i've read about him recently.
respect.

vodkabird, your piece on flatmates made me chuckle,
laugh, and guffaw. i now feel like i've had it very
easy flatmate-wise.

dahling's greek meetup in march sounds soooo tempting,
especially today looking out at the wintry sky. don't
know if i'll make it, but what an idea!

... there were too many more mails, so i'll stop
there.

i've got a PFW (person from work - people from work
are always weird, don't you find?) interested in belle
and sebastian! he saw my computer wallpaper, composed
of ken chu's winning entry in the TOTP drawing
contest, and he said "who the hell are belle and
sebastian?". i played it cool, replied "oh, they're a
band", but he wanted more info as he'd never heard of
them. so i pointed him to some web sites and off he
went. i thought no more about it until i got a mail
later that day - our PFW had perused the websites and
found the whole thing so intriguing he went to amazon
and downloaded what he could find of B&S ... and he
was most impressed. "i didn't know there were still
bands like this - a sort of early smiths vibe, isn't
it?", meaning not just the music but the whole fan
community thing. really, it was a great feeling,
enabling the discovery of B&S by someone who'd no
prior knowledge of them at all. and a PFW as well!

my prejudices vis a vis PFWs have taken yet another
battering recently, having met a lady PFW who - gasp!
-likes comics. how strange. the moral of the story is:
never underestimate PFWs. contrary to appearances,
it's very possible they share the same rich inner life
you do. the person you seem in the work environment is
seldom the whole you, after all. so, embrace your
PFWs! share the love! dare to throw cultural
references into conversations by the water cooler!
because *you never know* ...

that's it from me. i hear the tea machine calling.

rener

=====
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." - Groucho Marx