Sinister: builders and movers and maybe even shakers

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Wed Dec 5 06:27:15 GMT 2001

Hi Sinister,

It's a shame no one took Mandee up on the construction site, though she
said she was tired of the idea just as she started.  I had a similar idea
last last summer for their recording studio, after reading a thoughtful
article in which it was claimed that their best songs are "built around
builds".  But would we just stand around wringing our hands, or have we
ended up justifying our own existence?  (After reading Kieran's posts and
the last one from PF, I'm beginning to think so.)

Another way the conceit works is that if we're all lined up on a beam
(save for Mr. Gillanders, of course), then our view of sinister is
obscured(?) by those immediately to the right and to the left of us - real
life friends and acquaintances, whatever.  But if one of us dares to stand
up, then she might see that that fellow in the distance is hardly
recognizable.  So it's amazing that this community exists at all, even
if the cohesion is partially based upon an illusion.

Or have we become more like one another?  Bookends.

Ola,
"my name's alexei yuriy gagarin siege of stalingrad glorious 5-year-plan
sputnik tractor dynamo moscow balowski. my father was a bit of a
communist, you see"

this quote is fantastic!  Where is it from?  (Yes, I'm hardly qualified to
say anything about communism.)  Frank, heartfelt posts about boyfriends
and discos in provincial towns that close at midnight.  (I hardly ever go
out.)  We *are* different!

When you return - garrulous and sweet - in a flurry of A4, I wonder what
inspires you to write.  Once you were speeding west on a train from
Krakow (how long has it been?!?!) and ended up in a London cafe.
Landmarks to equal those in Remembrance Of Things Past.  In the beginning
of 'Place Names: The Place', Marcel writes, "It was not for the first time
that I felt that those who love and those who enjoy are not always the
same."  Which got me thinking that he's a bit like Don Quixote - silly,
impossibly idealistic, loveable.

Yours,
Youn