Sinister: White Noise, Belfast, Soul Music

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Sun Dec 9 23:30:32 GMT 2001

I went to a reggae club on Friday. It was pretty good, but I liked it best
when one of the DJs dropped in the occasional soul classic. You know,
R.E.S.P.E.C.T or Really Sayin' Something. Or something. So now I think that
soul music is better than reggae.

I'm glad the B&S bus has been booked to take people up to Belfast, however I
hate buses and will travel up by train. I do want to meet people in Belfast
though. A wise person advised me that meeting in the Botanic Gardens would
be foolish, on the basis that it is December and they will be very parky.
Since then I've had two different pubs suggested to me - The Menagerie (on
University Road) and some other one, the Botanic Inn or something (near the
Botanic Gardens). I have no preference. There is a part of me that fancies
being a tourist and saying 'let's meet in The Crown!'. However that would
probably be full and is I think miles away from the Mandela Hall.

Do people fancy an afternoon meetup or one just before the gig? I'd prefer
an afternoon first and then maybe a pre-gig one too, unless that's a bit too
meetup-tastic.

Why, incidentally, do people all was talk about committing list abuse when
they post in about forthcoming meetups? I thought that's what Sinister was
for.

Meanwhile, the Rachel OJ scandal has left me reeling, and I feel that I
should make a clean breast of something before I too am exposed - I am not
really a vicar. I am however very dirty, having not washed since last May,
on my birthday.

I had loads of fun yesterday, photocopying up the zine thing I publish. It's
hyper-elitist, only available to those who write for it. There's nothing
like the smell of photocopy toner to make you feel nice and healthy.

And today I went to my first mulled wine party of the season, showing that
it has arrived. I find the whole liking/not-liking Christmas argument a bit
pointless really, it's a bit like saying that you hate wet weather and going
into a sulk whenever it rains. Er, what I mean is, whether you like
Christmas or not it's going to come around so you might as well make the
best of it. That said, I am very aware that for various life-not-going well
reasons people have a bad time of it at this time of year, which is very
sad.

I enjoyed Rener's post in which she revealed that we might go to the Athens
Sinister meetup. I've long fancied visiting Greece, mainly through an
interest in ancient Greek culture and all that. It's strange the way I grew
up thinking of Greece as somewhere you would visit to have a fascinating
high-brow holiday of looking at ruins and statues and visiting places where
fantastic battles took place, while now Greece is somewhere people go on
holidays to to neck pills, drink till they puke, and try to pick each other
up. Shame.

Having said that, I'll probably not get round to the Athens Sinister Meetup,
as I never get round to doing things.

I think I'll go to tubbybed now, hope you all are well. Big shout out to
Corduroy Boy, Laura Llew, Astrid, David Moore, Grainne, and the whole get
mental crew.

blessed be,

DV