Sinister: opinion

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Mon Dec 10 09:56:23 GMT 2001

The new single. Its crap.
It’s a half hearted attempt at writing something, that
sounds like bad Britpop during the days when it was
popularity was waning and it was a word used to
describe the likes of Catatonia, Space and Sleeper.
Belle And Sebastian should really wait until they are
actually in the mood for song writing because this
doesn’t actually sound as if they are. It sounds as if
they’re running short on funds for trips to the off
license, and patched this mediocre indifferent piece
of nonsense together, stuck a few lines round the
internet  saying “ooh look we’ve got some famous
producer, therefore it must be good and we’re going up
in the world!” To grab your attention, shoved it on
the shelves and you lot bought it. I did too, but hey,
at least I can say I notice a bad record when I hear
it, rather than fawn over it. I bet they’re laughing
right now, sitting on their arses, counting their
money, Isobel in the courtyard eating bread and honey,
and laughing at you lot for being so incredibly
gullible and pouring your little hearts over it,
hailing it as a masterpiece. It’s a bit like the
latest piece of art to win the turner prize- a room
with a flickering light. Its utter drivel. There’s
absolutely no emotion in it at all. As throwaway as
pop can get without giving it away with Happy Meals at
MacDonald’s Drive-Thru. It’s a shame really, because
you know that they are capable of so much more. And
yet here’s the proof that they couldn’t be arsed. It
sounds like they didn’t really care when they wrote
it, as if they just got together. Belle And Sebastian,
in my humble opinion, have taken to resting on their
laurels. Why should they care? They have a record
deal, a dedicated fan base who will buy and accept
anything regardless just because it has those three
little words on it: Belle And Sebastian. It’s a weak
song, with weak lyrics, badly thrown together
melodies, and a blasé attempt at music. Its as vibrant
as a power cut. It’s a record that’s been done, and
lacks the adventure to explore anything vaguely new
and challenging. It’s a safe record, it’ll keep people
happy, and what’s the point in exploring new lines of
music, when you can churn out the same-old stuff and
stay dependable within the tried and trusted
boundaries of creativity? Is this creative? No, not at
all. It’s unimaginative, dull and insignificant.
Yes I bought it. No, I didn’t hear it before I bought
it. Yes, its one of those records I’ll probably never
take to the second hand shop, simply because I’d feel
too ashamed to admit to owning it.
Yes I’m still going to listen to Belle And Sebastian.
Why? Because I live in hope that this was a one off
blunder, a weak one amidst a back catalogue which is
mostly flawless wonders. This is not Belle And
Sebastian’s greatest moment, it’s a forgettable one. I
hope that this is a mistake they can learn from and
take a return to what they are renowned for: classic,
undisputable genius.
Its not ironic or clever, it’s just a stupid record.

Rant over.

Big hello to Paul Laird, for a great nights work at
The Egg on Saturday, and playing some funky little
numbers that I could wiggle away to. And he’s not the
bloke I went to school with. He’s got a far cooler
record collection.

End of stuff.

Idles

=====