Sinister: Softer than her face would suggest...

Christina McDermott zcraw96 at xxx.uk
Mon Dec 10 13:56:53 GMT 2001

Hello again Sinisterines and Sinisterettes,

I know, I know...I've been quiet for a bit too long than is really good. It
isn't all my fault you know. Essays about Mexican Politics/Plato's allegory
of the Cave/Race and Ethnicity as Historical concepts have all been piled
upon my head at once which is never a good thing, especially when you're
suffering from a bad case of flu-thrax and someone you really like tells
you that they don't like you "in that way" anymore.
But so it goes...I've had my adventures. I go out, I fall over, I get back
up but I still keep dancing.
Talking of adventures..I've been having a fair few over the past few days.
I think that there's something about London which seems to make all the
strange and bizarre hapennings to me (of which there tend to be quite a
few, even when I'm not within any immediate range of the M1) become
slightly more magic and tinged with things that you'll always remember with
a great deal of fondness.
I went to see Tompaulin and Camera Obscura last Wednesday with the lovely
Matt Wilson (also on this list, but tends not to show his face due to being
overly shy. This doesn't stop half of Oxford knowing him though :D),
Boog-a-loo Ben Apps and my lovely friend Marianne from my Halls. We were
also graced with that Sinister Superstar Ken Chu. I think it was Matthew
Henderson who said:-

"If Ken is as good at DDR as reports indicate, he must be robot.
That game is hard."

Hmm...not seen him play DDR (although you're still beholden to a death
match against my little sister Chu) he can *dance* and has developed dance
moves to Jonathan David which are rather impressive. He also seems to be
programmed to scav drinks off everybody...even me and I'm a poor student.
Anyway, I highly recommed that everybody goes out and buys the Tompaulin
album because they were amazing and had really cool harmonium mouth organ
thingummybobs. Apart from the fact that one of their guitars was broken so
they had to do some songs acoustically, they were amazing and I did little
on-the-spot dancing and all was well.
Camera Obscura were lovely too....even if they do look like a 14 year old
being humoured by her benevolent uncles. The bassist looks like a bouncer.
So, lots of fun and dancing was had by all and everybody took the piss out
of the stickers on my clarinet on the way home (I came straight from band
practise) because they were all from when some random 13 year old stole my
clarinet which I had safely stored in the school music store cupboard and
put stickers of "Kavannagh" and Take That on it. No honest..it wasn't
me...why are you all looking at me like that?!
I think I am rapidly becoming known as "the girl with the clarinet" around
London. If you're ever in a club and you see a girl holding one and looking
slightly pissed off with it, it will probably be me as me and the guitarist
in my band tend to go out straight after band practise and I can't go home
first. *Doh* Hence me also having to take it to Strange Fruit on Saturday
night and hide it under a pile of coats and keep checking it occasionally
to see that no one had taken a fancy to it.
Saying that....it was fun though. A certain Struan Murdoch was there with a
certain band called Camera Obscura (The lead singer is his girlfriend I
think...well...they seemed to be getting it on rather a lot anyway). That
boy sure can dance and so can the girly from Camera Obscura too. In fact,
that whole band are bloody good dancers. One of their membership can
breakdance and he did it in the middle of the dance floor towards the end
of the night to much whooping. I wish I could spin on my head :-( He seemed
quite impressed when I told him he should be enter the "B-Boy
Championships" at Brixton Academy. You never know, there could be a niche
in the market for twee breakdancing. You could have puffer-cardigans
resplendent with the right amount of "bling-bling" jewellry.
That Struan is a right little thief though. After coming to the realisation
that the bar staff were no longer guarding the bar after about 2 AM I saw
him run over to the taps, give a shifty look around the corner to make sure
that the bouncers wouldn't catch him and beat the shit out of him and then
lean over, grab a pint glass and pour a pint right out of the tap and
scamper off with a wee grin. I think he was copying my friend though who
did it first....still, it was amusing.
And then me and my friends all went to Primrose Hill to watch the sunrise
over London. It was beautiful (if amazingly cold!) to watch all the
buildings emerging from the mist as if they were all playing games of hide
and seek and only came out during the day to play at being tourist
attractions. We all held hands to protect each other from the cold and told
silly stories about Philosophy and people we knew and things we'd done and
the joggers looked at us strangely as if they'd never seen three kids
resplendent in fur lined coats, ski-jackets, cords, fishnets and flicked
eyeliner before. We heard the dawn chorus of exotic birds who sounded like
fire alarms bidding the morning hello and dogs being walked by bleary eyed
owners seemed to take a liking to Matt, laying their heads on his lap and
leaving a trail of viscous drool on his cords. After losing all feeling in
all parts of our bodies, we went to the Russian tea rooms for breakfast and
hot chocolate where Matt and Marianne tried to make me practise my Russian
on the staff (Bear in mind I only know about twenty words and would only
have been able to order soup and tea...not even being able to say "I would
like..." beforehand the words either, just merely "Tea and Soup please!")
who were all real Russians and not like the ones you get in Bond films or
out of packets.

I think it was the 'Chu who mentioned having a UK-wide Sinister day of
Bowling. Sounds like a good idea, so I'll put my Manchester Picnic-Mum
extraordinaire hat on and say Anyone fancy a day of bowling and DDR in
Manchester? There's a bowling alley near where I live and if you avoid the
Scallies, it could be quite fun. If not that, then we can just all go and
get pissed :D

As well as this...my penchant for mis-hearing lyrics was brought to the
fore by Carsmile Steve mentioning that he misheard "The centre of my
so-called beingness" in "My Wandering Days are over" as "The centre of my
so-called Penis."
Dammit. And I'd been singing that for nearly four years too with lots of
nice imagery to go along with it. I'll never get used to the new lyrics,
even if I will have the piss taken out of me by all the people who think
they know better.
Oh well.

So I leave with hugs and high-fives as always to:-
Boog-a-loo Ben Apps, Rachel Fruitloop (You go you crazy kids! Remember my
Tootsie Rolls!), Matt, Thom who lives in my halls (You know who you are!
Did you the note me and Marianne slipped under your door? *giggle*, da Chu,
Dancing Hatchback, the lovely Miss Hannah Brown, My fellow Chris in Crime
(The Mix tape challenge is stil ON! Send me your ideas and we'll get our
freak on) John-John and anyone else I may have missed.

*Whew*

Love and Clarinets
Cay Cola-Cube
xXx

P.S. There are signs around London which say "Your Mum phoned....Chu" I
think someone is trying to tell you something Ken.

"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your Revolution..."
-Emma Goldman