Sinister: a flashback

Lola Monnet lolamonnet at xxx.com
Mon Dec 10 17:57:37 GMT 2001

hello.

once there were two boys in my school, david and leon. there were other boys
too, but i always ended up looking at the two boys, maybe i am intrigued by
them because they never seemed to change, at least for a while.

david always wore buttoned shirts and had neatly divided hair, he played
with the loud boys in the school. i noticed that everytime the loud boys sat
down at lunchtime david was always the one who was sitting near the middle
of the group, but he never spoke a lot of the time.

leon used to always sit alone and away from the loud boys, leon had very
messy hair but it was strange because it looked the exactly the same every
day, he wore t-shirts and jeans. he always had a book with him, other girls
sometimes walked past him and said "what a nerd" and giggled and walked
away. and he would just blush.

i think the two boys had found out about me looking at them too, leon used
to sometimes gaze at me and when i looked at towards his direction he would
blush and then looked down at his food.

david was always looking away from me, but one time i spied on him by
turning my head away, but turned my eyes back to see him and i saw that he
was looking at me. but when i turn my head back he quickly turned away again
and pretended to read the clock on the wall.

one day in the drawer of my desk i found a piece of paper and it had a poem
on it, it was a love poem. i didn't know what to do because i had never
received a poem before, and it didn't have a name on it.

the confusion carried on for days, so on a wednesday i wrote on two pieces
of paper "the best place for a poet is the apple tree, 4:00 is the poet's
time", and placed them into david and leon's drawers when no one were
looking. whoever wrote the poem was going to appear.

at 4:00 i hid behind a wall looking at the apple tree, and the person who
appeared was leon, who picked an apple there and started eating it, i didn't
go up to him, i just stood behind the wall and watched, leon stood there for
15 minutes before walking away, and threw the apple into the bin.

i couldn't go to bed that night, i didn't know what to do when a boy writes
me a poem, and also now i had made him stand in the apple tree for 15
minutes.  i wrote a letter that night.

the next day i have in my bag a letter, that i placed later into a boy's
drawer. during lunchtime i overheard a girl saying to another girl "a boy
just put a poem into my drawer", and started reading this poem which i have
read before. it was the same one that leon wrote for me.

at 4:00 near the apple tree i asked the boy "why do you always play with the
loud boys, you seem so quiet", he told me that they were his friends, even
when they're loud. he taught me something i never knew, i think.  they both
did.  after a moment of slience david walked away. he didn't come back to
school the next day.  and not the next week either. i never saw him again. i
never looked at leon again.

lola.