Sinister: Cardigans, "I Love Buses", and the new single

Mike K dontloveanyone at xxx.net
Tue Dec 11 22:38:08 GMT 2001

"Gardiner, Stuart" <Stuart.Gardiner at ntu.ac.uk> wrote:
>if you go
>waaaaay back to the first month of Sinister, you'll find an intense
>discussion about whether B&S will ever get to be as big a band as The
>Cardigans
>(http://www.missprint.org/sinister/mhonarc/199708/msg00130.html). Yes,
>really.

Even funnier is reading through the replies to that. Or this particular gem of clairvoyancy:

>Well, what I meant by "as big as the Cardigans" was mainly:
>MTV popularity (buzz clips, reports by Loder on the possibilty of a >Tigermilk reissue, etc.) and radio popularity ("coming up this hour we've > got Bush and the new one from Belle and Sebastian 'I Just Love Buses'").

Bush have, apparently, dropped off the face of the earth and are currently masquerading as a simian American President (they take turns, you know), while our dear B&S have an ode to their car.

On the single... For whatever its worth, I love the first and third tracks, and I like the instrumental bits of ILMC (don't like the verses that much) but... I don't know, maybe something's wrong with me, but it didn't make me *feel* what something like Mary Jo made me feel.

Am I incapable of being touched by a song anymore, or do these songs just not affect me as much?

I was worried. I put on Mary Jo, and I was worried. Then the chorus hit, and I got that....that Feeling inside, and I knew it was okay.

Also, someone criticized Boy Done Wrong Again, and I couldn't disagree more. It's so beautiful, so emotional that once I fell in love with it (granted, it took a few listens), it was pretty much the only thing I listened to for a week or so. It's easily one of my favourite B&S songs. To put it in the same sentence as Beyond the Sunrise is just...*shudders*.

Well, anyways, I'm off.
Mike K