Sinister: T.O.P.

MyMomSays at xxx.com MyMomSays at xxx.com
Sun Dec 16 23:42:05 GMT 2001

    Lately I have been going on a lot of walks--sometimes I go alone and
bring along music so I don't get lonely, and sometimes my sister goes along
with me.  But mostly, I go alone.  I live in a neighboor adjacent to
Bittersweet Park--and, for some reason, this neighborhood is called
Bittersweet.  As a kid I didn't realize the meaning of Bittersweet--I merely
associated it with a color that was some orangey brown in my box of Crayolas;
right now I can't actually remember if there ever was an actual color called
Bittersweet, but this orangey-brown, perfect for coloring in the empty
outlines of a running Deer--I called it such.
    Once someone visiting from out-of-town commented in this odd name for
such a place--Bittersweet is a weird name for a neighborhood and a nearby
park.  My friend answered his question by saying "Children play here, but
blood has been shed."  I like the idea of some ancient mishap going down at
Bittersweet park; the settlers drinking the tainted water from bittersweet
lake and going nuts and killing their own children.  I know it's ridiculous
of me to want such a thing to have happened--but I can get away with it
because I know it didn't occur.  Bittersweet was some before-sleep daydream
constructed by a bored mid-70's developer.  Twenty years ago this was dirt.
    But I often take a walk by the park.  The other night I made a new
friend--a jaunting collie that was chasing geese.  I never know what to do
with my hands and arms when I am walking.  One could move them back and forth
merrily, but I always feel sort of dorky doing that.  Usually I end up
shoving them in my pockets teen-angstily.  But I was walking along and this
Collie jaunted beside me throughout the duration of my walk, eventually
coming to regard me as its owner--perking up at the sound of my voice,
obeying my random claps and whistles.  We walked together for a while, all
around the park and then through the neighboring houses, and I eventually
lost my new friend.  I had daydreamed of me actually being able to live that
12-year old's fantasy of "He followed me home"...  but, I lost him somewhere.

    Last weekend I decided to take another walk with a B&S mix tape I'd made.
 It was mid-afternoon, around 3:30, and I had to weave through about three
hundred canadian geese that were milling around the sidewalk--I was really
enjoying myself, don't get me wrong.. the setting sun and the frosty air
accompanied with a few of my favorite Belle and Sebastian songs.  But I did
find out something I didn't know; I never know what to do with my hands when
I am out walking, but I found that a few hand claps can stir hundreds of
geese into flight.

lv
mandee