Sinister: Stories from the town, stories from the city

Peter Carter p.carter at xxx.uk
Mon Dec 17 16:48:33 GMT 2001

Kieran Devaney pointed out that it is the season for end of year poles...
and I couldn't agree more. With that in mind, I've compiled my own list. So,
without further ado, the top 9.5 most credible records still on sale during
the 2001 shopping period (sponsored by Jo Whiley):

1. The Best of the Beatles - The Beatles
2. Beethoven's Fifth Symphony - Beethoven
3. Nevermind - Nirvana
4. The Number One Hits - Elvis Presley
5. White on Blonde - Bob Dylan
6. Billie Holiday - Greatest Hits - Billie Holiday
7. Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix
8. OK Computer - Radiohead
9. The Very Best of Frank Sinatra - Frank Sinatra
9.25. Is This It? - The Strokes
9.5. White Blood Cells -The White Stripes

There, I trust I've covered all my bases.

On a slightly less pissy and sarcastic note, I'd like to qualify my comments
on the Tompaulin album. Someone said a while ago that they disagreed with my
comments on it, well, I think perhaps I was a little harsh. The
truth is, it has some wonderful songs in it, particularly All Your Favourite
Records, Daydreaming, The Boy Hairdresser and Second Rate Republic. However,
there are also a few problems.

1. About a third of the album is filler, songs that really aren't important
at all.
2. Of the rest, two of the tracks I already have on other records.
3. Because I'm used to their almost flawless E.Ps (the B-side of Bootboys
single excepted), I was probably expecting a little more than I should have
been.

So my reaction is mostly due to circumstance, and I would still recommend it
as a heartily worthwhile recording :).

Well, I think that's it from me, nothing else much interesting has happened
yet. Though Kara it coming to visit little old me in Inkland soon, so that
should be wondrous :)

Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year all,
Peter