Sinister: Christmas music & private recordings

arlequim at xxx.br arlequim at xxx.br
Wed Dec 19 19:01:59 GMT 2001

Dear Sinister

I have finally found the perfect soundtrack for Christmas: the Lillywhite
Sessions, by Dave Matthews Band. I remember reading in here someone asking
if it would be a complete contradiction liking B&S and DMB, and I don't
think it is at all! In fact, I feel like there is something of complementary
between DMB and B&S, as if the Dr. Jekyll part of me listened to B&S and the
Mr. Hyde part to DMB, or vice-versa - as Robert Louis Stevenson is some kind
of Scottish national author of the XIXth century , the metaphor sounds more
than appropriate.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it before, the "Lillywhite Sessions" is the
perfect DMB unreleased album, much better than the blockbuster "Everyday"
and much, much darker, lower and heartfelt. The tracks are flying from HD to
HD through the internet and pleasurably I managed to have'em on my own in
august. When my mother was decorating the tree, and my father was coming
from shopping, I was listening to track 6, "Captain", and realised it just
fit for the moment. But I don't really know why. Somehow, everything made
sense.

I will try listening again to my Aimee Mann records. I suspect they're going
to fit too, as much as my recently acquired Ellen Cherry material (thanks,
Mel!).

Tomorrow I am starting the rehearsals for a CD I will record late January,
with my own compositions, which I am going to play on piano, alongside a
female singer and flautist, a percussionist and a bass player. Ok, it's
gonnna be a Ben Folds Five-like record, but that was not on purpose. These
were simply the available musicians. Unpleasurably all the lyrics are in
portuguese, so I will not be able to share the results with everyone in full.
But I will try to write bilingual sleeve notes. Wish me luck, please...
Everybody needs some.