Sinister: asm's opinions post...

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Thu Dec 20 17:41:18 GMT 2001

Hello all.

My, it *is* quiet round here at the moment, isn’t it? I’ll brighten things
up. Maybe. Well, prolly not, but I’ll amuse myself for 20 minutes or
whatever by writing this. Firstly, a request…

I’m currently in the midst of making a mix-tape for a friend of mine. The
theme for the tape is lyrical genius, ie songs which have just absolutely
amazing lyrics. It’s not about the tunes, it’s just about the words.
Obviously the songs have to be good songs, which therefore needs them to
have good tunes, but the songs **must** have lyrics that blow you
away/lyrics that move you/lyrics that are socially spot-on etc. And here’s
where you lot come in. I can’t think which B&S songs to include, and so I
need suggestions, and reasons for the suggestions… answer on an email to the
usual address… ;-)

There’s been a lot of talk on the list at the moment about end of year
polls. People seem not to like them much, so just to spite the lot of you,
and following on from “Asm’s List Of Top 10 Albums That Say “© 2001” On The
Back”, I proudly present…

***ASM’S LIST OF TOP 10 SINGLES
THAT SAY “© 2001” ON THE BACK***

1.      Missy “Misdemeanour” Elliott – Get Ur Freak On
2.      Pulp – Sunrise
3.      Belle & Sebastian – I’m Waking Up To Us
4.      Radiohead – Pyramid Song
5.      Eels – Souljacker Part 1
6.      Belle & Sebastian – Jonathan David
7.      The Strokes – The Modern Age
8.      Beta Band – Broke/Won
9.      Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Whatever Happened
        To My Rock’n’Roll (Punk Song)
10.     Coldcut – Re:Volution

Why? Well, a few of them touched me and made me smile (Pulp, B&S), some are
just incredibly musical creations (Pulp, Radiohead) but most of them just
screamed at me “DANCE! DANCE, YA FUCKIN’ MOOK! GET UP AND DANCE!”, in
particular Missy Elliott, Eels, BRMC and Coldcut, and I just couldn’t resist
them.

So there. That’ s *why* I like them too.

Finally, as an afterthought, here’s

***ASM’S TOP 3 SILLY QUESTIONS
ASKED IN DANCE RECORDS THIS YEAR***

1.      “Why do we build castles in the sky?” – Ian Van
        Dahl
2.      “Where’s your head at?” – Basement Jaxx
3.      “Do you really like it? Is it is it wicked” – DJ
        Pied Piper & Master Of Ceremonies

And on that bombshell, I’ll shut up.

I love you all, I love you all.

Asm.x