Sinister: Someone's forever blowing bubbles... (The Belfast gig story)

Simon Fallaha psi_fla at xxx.com
Sat Dec 22 14:06:27 GMT 2001

Well, hello again everyone.

I'm listening to the really catchy Sleep The Clock Around at the minute,
after just having come back home to Derry from the Belfast gig.
Quite a number of Sinisterines were present - myself,
my friend Jim, Dirty Vicar, Ian, Rener, Daragh, Seamus,
Grainne, Seamus's sister and Ian's girlfriend Barbara.
First of all, onto the concert. Some of us met up in the Empire but there
was no space to eat there, so we had to go to Bishop's. Ah well. We spent a
lot of time in the Empire drinking anyway, and got to know each other (it
was well worth it).
So down to the QUB it was, and I haven't been there for two years. Once I
got inside I wished I could've been there to see The Divine Comedy. It beats
the Nerve Centre hands down. That said, I'm glad that I wasn't at the front
(I left the Super Furries concert last month almost deafened - I got a far
better view standing upstairs).
Unfortunately we had to endure The Frames beforehand. No offense Daragh, but
they are dull (I think me, Jim and Barbara were struggling to keep
awake during their set!!!). The probability is that they got drunk before
actually singing on the stage.
Luckily we didn't have to wait long for B & S to arrive (and at this point I
remembered how long I had to wait for the Super Furries). And they even had
someone to introduce them.
The verdict? Well...brilliant. One of the best - probably THE best - rock
concert I have ever been to. Stuart was really enjoying himself (especially
during Me and the Major) and Isobel, while cute and
wearing this interesting dress, didn't defy the belief that she is a bit of
attention seeker (can you explain the bubble blowing near the end any other
way? And, as Jim pointed out, was she getting RSI during the opening
number?). People say she's like that at every other concert they play at.
Steve, the drummer, the three violinists (Belfast Bob was one of them,
right?) and Sarah Martin were all great. I
believe me and a few others got a picture taken with the lovely Sarah
afterwards. Mind
you, Jim went one better - a photo with someone from Starsailor as well
(congrats
Jim!).
I recognised only four songs. Fox In The Snow, The Boy With The Arab Strap
and Legal Man were the only other ones that came to mind barring the Major.
And I don't even know all the words to them.
But I had no idea B & S were this versatile. I loved their versions of O
Come, O Come Emmanuel, and also the drummer's (I already forget his name)
Madness cover (it sounded like one anyway). What I also didn't know is that
they invite someone from the audience to sing at nearly every concert. On
this occasion it was someone called Barry who Daragh claims to know, and I
spoke to him afterwards (his sister claimed that he had 'balls of steel'
for getting up and singing). I know, no matter how often I sing, that I
wouldn't have been able to do what he did. Besides, what did he sing again?
Was it an Elvis cover?
The band did a good cover of The Boys Are Back In Town (not one of my
favourite songs, but I still enjoyed it), and finished with a Christmas song
(unlike Ash last year, they seemed in a real mood for the festive season,
didn't they? I think the difference lies in their versatility).

Well, fellow Sinisterines who were present, did you manage to pick up much
merchandise? All I got were some badges (and I was wearing two of them
during the concert). The thought of buying a T-shirt never existed,
considering how much I've worn the one I bought at the Ash concert in Derry
a year ago.

It was only a pity that we didn't go to the Limelight afterwards, but never
mind.

And here come my notes to everyone...

Daragh, Dirty Vicar - you were great company, you really know a lot about
music. Mind you, DV, does
anyone on the list agree with you about Boney M? And Daragh, I hope your
girlfriend had a good birthday in the end. Remind me what your favourite
band is again.
Ian (and Barbara) - thanks for your company, and I hope I'll hear from you
again soon.
Rener - I've just been reading some of your previous posts on the site, they
are cool (unfortunately I don't have them in my Inbox anymore).
Seamus and sister - did you really have a better view downstairs?
Grainne - hope you got back home ok. Didn't see you that much so I'm not
sure how much you enjoyed it. Anyway, it was nice meeting you.

All of you that I met in Belfast - it was fun meeting and talking to all of
you, and I hope to hear from you all again soon.

Take care,

Psi