Sinister: Only Losers Take The Bus

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Sat Dec 22 22:37:31 GMT 2001

Hello readers,

I notice there are already lots more posts about the Belfast gig than the
Scottish one. That's because the kind of people who go to gigs in Belfast
are C*O*O*L and the kind of people who go to ones in Glasgow are
U*N*C*O*O*L.

I found the gig a lot of fun... the sound was maybe a bit ropey and not loud
enough but the raucously positive atmosphere more than made up for it. Also,
perhaps not enough Stevie action... everyone knows he's the real sexgod star
of B&S.

I also enjoyed all the Sinister meetup antics that went on. I'll give big
shouts to all the people I was talking to later. But first I will bore you
with what I think is the list of songs performed by everyone's favourite
band:

Here Comes The Sun
There's Too Much Love
[that track from the Peel session that starts off with just Isobel singing
and then launches into some kind of total poptasm, maybe it's called the
happiness of a kind word or maybe it's not]
You Know My Wandering Days Are Over (sadly I couldn't remember any of the
actions from the dance someone (Andre Alessi?) posted in a while back)
Me & the Major
[A track my notes aren't too clear on... possibly a newie or a cover called
'Wandering Home']
Slow Graffiti (very nice)
The Model
Don't Leave The Light On Baby
Cool For Cats (with Richard Colburn on lead vocals for this Squeeze number;
What's funny about when he does lead vocals is he loses his drummer face)
Waiting For The Man (audience member Barry joined the band to sing lead
vocals on this Velvet Underground cover; he proved a bit too good at singing
and being onstage and stuff to be just some random chancer from the
audience, and further enquiries revealed him to be lead singer with Dublin
band Da Capo)
Simple Things
Boy With The Arab Strap
Fox In The Snow
O Come O Come Emmanuel (again, very nice)
Dog On Wheels
The Wrong Girl (this time in the style of Barry White)
Dirty Dream Number 2
Legal Man
[intermission]
The Boys Are Back In Town (performance of this Thin Lizzy classic was
preceded by Stuart asking us whether we had any Irish in us, leading to
amusement on the part of my longtime Lizzyfan special friend; the song
featured endlessly hilarious backing vocal action on the part of Chris and
Mick)
Happy Christmas - War Is Over (surprisingly affecting version of this Lennon
track; despite hating John Lennon as an irritating hypocrite I have to admit
to thinking this is a nice song, a cut above the usual sentimental "lovely
song" arse he is more associated with)

It's funny, I never read tracklistings of gigs I wasn't at so I've probably
lost most of you by now.

Isobel was wearing her Bob Dylan dress with some fetching stilleto boots and
looks as mad as ever. Mind you, she didn't seem to be in her usual trance
state while performing minor percussion chores, god bless her.

Support band The Frames were interesting... I'm still not sure whether they
are competent musicians with a good stage presence but nothing special, or
whether they actually have a spark of greatness about them. I may have to go
see them again or something.

Now it's the shouts bit - hail to Psi & James from Derry, Ian & Barbara from
Belfast, Daragh and Tim Bambino from wherever they were from, Scottish
Rachel & Greek Dimitra whom I only talked to briefly (top marks to Dimitra
for guessing that I was on Sinister though... is it that obvious?), list
lurker Eamonn & Ruth, and then to the Bus People  - Seamus, Louise, Grainne,
Seamus' sister, Mark, and er anyone else I was talking to. Like Rener, for
instance. Maximum Respect To The Entire Sinister Posse. Remove Your
Ampersand T-Shirt And Await Further Instructions.

I'm thinking of going to allegedly good Dublin indie club Helter Shelter in
the Shelter later in December, anyone else on for it? Likewise, B&S guest
star Barry said that his band Da Capo are also playing the Shelter later in
the month too... if I'm feeling really mad for it I might catch them too.

Oh, and list abuse: fuck you Sinister, you think you're cool, but you're
nothing. Nothing I tell you!

praise Tobit,

DV