Sinister: it's coming on christmas, they're cuttin' down trees, they're puttin' up reindeer and singing songs of joy and peace

toadie291 at xxx.com toadie291 at xxx.com
Sun Dec 23 18:59:36 GMT 2001

greetings sinisterees.  i hope this finds you all well.  im sure youve
missed me, i havent posted in ages.  i guess im just writing to reply to
like 75 messages that ive been meaning to reply to for the past several
months and also to vent as i am in a FOUL mood.  things have been pretty bad
of late.  money troubles, sister/roommate troubles, family troubles, where
am i going to live troubles.  tis funny, i sit here typing at my posh
computer faced with the prospect that i have to move out on my
own....totally on my own, no roommate, and will very likely end up living in
my car.  in which case ill no longer be typing emails to y'all on my posh
computer.  nice.  i suppose i could sell said computer and then id be
fine...but a life without a computer is no life at all.  profound, and not
even slightly materialistic.  perhaps thats my problem.  i love having
things.  they dont mean more to me than people, but i love having nice
things, its important to me.  im sure all of you self-proclaimed indie kids
hate me now....ironic as you sit at your respective posh computers.  enough
of that.  someone said in a post awhile back that they hated christmas
becuase its so insincere.  i agree that there is a lot of bollocks that goes
along with christmas.namely the fact that jesus was born in september time
and we run around like chickens buying things with money we dont have for
people to give them things they dont need.  yesterday i went to the marshall
fields department store in chicago....8 floors..i said "isnt it amazing how
big a store full of nothing you need can be?"  totaly true in a maslow's
hierarchy of needs way, yet as i mentioned, i love things i dont
need.....still sitting at posh computer....with dsl line no less.  i
digress.  the way i figure it, if the person(s) wishing you a happy holiday
season truly mean it, then you cant let your own bitterness prevail and
convince you that EVERYONE who wishes one a happy holiday season is
insincere.  what else.  oh yes.  the state of "indie rock".  well
considering the fact that i absolutely HATE classification of music to begin
with, this really annoyed me.  so basically, per many listees, once a person
is on the radio a lot they are no longer indie?  hmm.  interesting.  you do
realise that without album sales and radio airplay no one would be able to
make music right?  and i supppose that when the memebers, all 564 of them,
of B&S and ________________(insert your favourite "indie" band here) set out
to make an album they say "gee whiz, i hope no one buys this, then we arent
indie anymore.  we will have sold out and we wont have a mailing list of our
very own any longer"  i will never understand that logic.  "well i liked
them, then they got popular and now they suck"  if im not mistaken i think
that right after albert einstein worked out the E=MC2 thing.he discovered
the equation POPULARITY = NO TALENT and SELL OUTS!!!!!!!!  granted there are
people on the radio constantly that do nothing to attain their notoriety,
other than take off their blouses perhaps....then youve got peopel who
genuinely pour their hearts and souls into their music and never get heard.
then their are people who genuinly pour their hearts and souls into music
and they  DO get heard.  personal audio aesthetics however, to not
necessarily equal lack of talent.  i mean, lets take Dave Matthews band...i
cant stand them, i dont like how his voice sounds and i think hes a total
pig...however, there is not denying that the memebers of DMB have real
musical talent.  its funny to me.  im on i think 8 music related mailing
lists and each of them have their respective snobs.  on telly you always see
the frasier crane-esque classical music snobs.  the ones who think that
anything not classical just isnt genuine music.  i think every genre has
them though.  one of my mailing lists:  if it doesnt have jangly guitars its
just bad...another: if it isnt radiohead then its just crap.  thom yorke
knows the depths of my soul and no one else has anything of relevance to say
(i love radiohead but someone needs to tell thom yorke that he is not
michael stipe and to just shut up!).and another:  this is the best yet..on
one of my 2 sigur ros mailing lists someone actually said that music sung in
english has no meaning.  none of it.  um.....need i remind said person that
sigur ros sing in icelandic and a totally made up language called
hopelandish..how the hell does she know what the words are saying?  oi vey!
my point is i guess that if we are passionate enough about a band and
believe in them enough to invest ourselves in our mailing lists and meet ups
and talking about them, then of course we will, more than likely, be
passionate about them.  that does not, however, mean that those whose
opinions differ from ours have no talent and should be shot and killed on
site.  i know many of you hate travis, theyre one of my favourite bands.
let me tell you why.....because they never say that they should be.  they
just make music that they like, they love playing it and are grateful that
theyre able to do so.  they write theyre own songs..ill admit that sing is
pretty bad though.the sentiment is nice, just a lil redundent for me....they
never slag off other bands or singers as being invalid or undeserving of
their success.  they dont tell their fans what they should believe in or
what should be important to them.   they havent changed anything about
themselves or their music to conform to anything....they just play what they
like.  like them musically or not, how can you not at least repect them for
that?  i will never understand how people think they sound like
radiohead..coldplay too.  im not a fan of coldplay, but i dont think they
even sound slightly like radiohead.even bends era radiohead.  anyway.  im
going to shut up now.  ive babbled enough.  i realise that if i were to wish
you a merry christmas that would offend some listees so i will just wish all
of you a belated winter solstice..sincerely of course.

love and corn pops

~~stine

ps.....elise, how was your trip, jim, nikki, peter, everyone else....i love
you guys!!!!!! talk to you soon i hope