Sinister: if it's that kinda party, i'm gonna stick my dick in da mashed pataters

stacey dahling dahling007 at xxx.com
Sun Dec 30 11:43:41 GMT 2001

So Christmas is over. But Athens seems unwilling to release it from its
long, blood-red, manicured talon grip. I ventured into the city center to be
swallowed into swarms of scary shoppers and skinny Santas, some pulling
along tiny ponies. Mimes, street musicians, magicians, balloons, people,
people, people. It was a bit frightening. A bit exciting. And I felt lost,
caught unawares, with neither kids nor friends in tote, no money to spend on
holiday shopping, no camera to at least capture the action. There weren’t
even any after-Christmas sales! I was confused. Still am.
I had a simply fantastic holiday though. On the Wednesday prior to
Christmas, I hopped on a bus and had an action-packed five-hour journey
north to spend a week with Ms. Velocity Girl herself, Kalliope. I had a
front-row seat, which afforded me a fantastic view of the winter wonderland
that existed 20 minutes north of Athens. It was breathtaking, and unexpected
- rolling fields of white, snow-covered purple peaks everywhere I looked. I
grew excited. It WAS Christmas! It was a bit nipply when I left Athens at 3
p.m. and the temperature swiftly plummeted along the way. By the time we
stopped for our 15-minute break at 5:30, it was downright freezing - the bus
driver decided to have some giggles by locking us out of the bus for 10
additional minutes. When we started up again, the sun had set and a silent,
serious tone fell over the entire bus as the driver inched along to avoid
certain death on the icy roads. It was rather silly, but fun all the same. I
love emergency mode. When we passed through little villages, you could see
villagers coming together to shovel out the main road and central square.
They huddled in cafes and peered out of houses at anyone who dare venture
outdoors.
When I arrived in Volos, it was only 8 p.m., but the place was deserted,
like a ghost town! More than 100,000 residents and only five could be seen.
There were no taxis. I stood for a few minutes, watching my breath mist and
fall heavily like ice, my teeth chattering, my bones vibrating, my toes
freezing, before giving up and beginning to skate along the ice-covered
sidewalks to the city center. Along the way I passed a city bus terminal and
had the brilliant idea of taking a bus. The guy told me there would be one
coming in five minutes, so I bought a ticket and waited with this friendly,
frightening chap. When I got to Kalli’s apartment I never wanted to leave
again. So warm and cozy. Mmm. I felt like the biggest wimp, this New England
girl moaning about a spell of Grecian winter. But the television did say it
was -7 Celsius that night so I think I was justified. My God! -7! I’m not
entirely sure how cold that is, but considering it hardly ever dips below 10
here, it was quite dramatic. And now that I’m back in Athens, it’s up arouns
17 again. Ha! Insanity!
Anyway... my resolution to stay indoors did not last long. Soon we were
outside again, running along the beach, the SNOW-COVERED BEACH, making snow
angels and burying the dog and hurtling snow-covered objects at each other
and trying to shake big clumps of snow off the bamboo sun umbrellas. A mist
was coming off the sea, and the whole scene was surreal. And SO FUCKING FUN!
I felt like I was 10 years old again. Afterwards we walked to the video
store to stock up on horror films. Walking, however, was a bit difficult,
considering the fact that every surface was covered with at least two inches
of solid ice. So we developed this crazy glide, and skated arm in arm down
side streets, singing awful South Park and Christmas tunes.
We spent a good chunk of time and money at the supermarket, stocking up on
supplies to make enough soup and pie to take us well into the new year - if
we didn’t eat it all within the week. Oops. Hell, It’s the holidays! Isn’t
the whole point of it to eat, drink and be merry? Well, we did all that, in
mass quanities.
Oh what a spectacle we must have made, pushing an overflowing shopping
carriage home through the streets covred with ice and slush. And later, when
we headed to the local park with scary ski hats pulled low, large knives in
hand on our way to cut some evergreen branches for our Christmas ‘tree.’ We
took the branches home, stuck them in a planter’s pot, tied them together
with a bit of twine, and spent the rest of the night decorating it with
balls of crumpled newspaper we painted and other random items.
We also had an impromptu ghetto dance party. Inspired by my ghetto-looking
ski hat, perhaps? Kalli popped on her Ice-T record and demonstrated how she
could shake her ass, ghetto style and I was duly impressed. Shocked, in
fact, by how bad-ass she truly is, deep down. No twee motherfucking in that
house. Give Kalliope a ski mask and she looks like she could pop your ass.
Shit, g-friend! Before long we were both bouncing to Cypress Hill and the
Beasties.
On the last night we shaked our asses a bit to a more subdued beat - that of
Belle and Sebastian! At a café! It was completely unexpected. We decided it
was high time we left the house and met a few of Kalliope’s friends at a
café. The DJ played FIVE B&S songs! And other amazing songs in the meantime,
including Heavenly and Love and a whole block of The Smiths. I was shocked.
Yay!
What else? I don’t know, it’s all a blissful haze. We were going to write a
joint post but couldn’t find the time in all the fun we were having! HA!
Okay, so perhaps that was a bit mean, but it’s kinda true. To be honest, I
never expected to have such a fantastic holiday. I was feeling a bit down
about spending my first Christmas away from home, and my family was treating
me like a big traitor for being away. I didn’t think it would be a real
Christmas without the cheesy movie and music marathons, the pecan pie and
huge fragrant tree and evil grandmother evasion tactics. But it was in some
ways better! There was no tradition, so we kind of made up the rules as we
went along, throwing together bits of tradition, which resulted in
interesting combinations. Like tiropita, curry, and apple pie. Ha! There
were no annoying relatives to entertain. No reason to wake up at a certain
time. No expectations. It’s a Christmas I’ll never forget.
Actually, Kalliope’s apartment has begun to feel like home for me anyway.
And after each visit, Kalliope and I feel more and more like sisters. To
think, it was sinister that brought us together! Ah, what would I do without
you, dear sinister? I also liked how Christmas day was punctuated by a
steady stream of well-wishing text messages from others in the sinister
family, and how that night #sinister was hopping with listees trying to
escape their real families. Aww.

I’ve spent the final days of 2001 listening to punk covers of the cheesiest
songs of all time. ‘Mandy,’ ‘Puff the Magic Dragon,’ ‘Don’t Cry For Me
Argentina.’ They are surprisingly fantastic. All from Me First and the Gimme
Gimmes. I have 11 of them, and I keep playing them over and over again. Then
I started crying when I heard the Cheers theme song. “Sometimes you wanna go
where everybody knows your name.” It’s sad, non?
Then there’s the Lionel Richie. The original, no covers there. My former
flatmate, Emilie, once tried to single-handedly resurrect Lionel’s career.
It was about the same time as a new greatest hits album was released, and
she thought it was perfect timing for a comeback. She decided to start in
our apartment, of course. Until then I had never realized how much Lionel I
knew. More than you’d think. He is quite classy. And now ‘Dancing on the
Ceiling’ makes me want to dance all over my cold marble floors.
This morning I blasted the punk covers and Lionel and.. Queen! And my
flatmate was so startled she actually left her beserk cleaning frenzy to
come in my room and ask “Are you playing Lionel Richie??? Just had to make
sure.” I think it was a statement more than a question. I think maybe she
was trying to imply something. Hmm. At least I wasn’t crying at the time.
I’ve been playing a hell of a lot of Alchemy lately. It’s this strategy game
from Shockwave.com that Kalliope got me addicted to. I’ve managed to ace it
enough to make it to the very final level, which I of course cannot
complete. Argh!
Last night I made granola. As in, I took rolled oats, wheat flakes, barley
flakes, peanuts, maple syrup, honey, raisins and other dried fruit and baked
it. Which presupposes that I was in the supermarket, regarding rolled oats
and wheat flakes with interest. This is weird for me, in case you didn’t
know. I’m still reeling. Today I plan on making my own garden burgers with
the mince soya product I also bought in the grains section. I don’t think
I’ve ever stood for more than five seconds in the grains section. Whoa.

Sadly, there was no bowling in Athens on Saturday. I considered it and even
called Joanna. But she was in her father’s village up north. So. Yeah.
Her absence also means I have no New Year’s Eve plans as of yet, which
disturbs me a bit more. Traditionally I have welcomed in the new year by
dancing my ass off to cheesy Top 40 and ghetto rap in a squalid club with my
little sister and her best friend. I was willing to make do this year by
dancing my ass off in a cheesy oldies club or even an indie club, but it
looks unlikely. Coral doesn’t really celebrate New Year’s Eve, she told me
yesterday, but might be convinced to hang out downtown as a cultural
experience or something. This is kind of appealing. I mean, when I was
little I used to watch the festivities in New York City and wish I was
there. And now I actually live in a huge city, a 10-minute bus ride away
from the biggest party in the country. I should go, non? Yeah. I just don’t
want to go alone. Something about being alone on New Year’s Eve depresses
the hell out of me. It’s bad enough not having anyone to kiss at midnight,
at least I can console myself with the fact that I’m with other important
people. Blech.

Ah well.
Happy New Years lovies..
MWAH