Sinister: It's December and I'm cold

MyMomSays at xxx.com MyMomSays at xxx.com
Mon Dec 31 01:40:34 GMT 2001

    Half of yesterday was wonderful.  I went with close friends off to the
big city to look at records and eat food.  My sisters and my friend Nicole
ended up dining at a gimmicky mexican restaurant called "Casa Bonita": it's
quite an odd place--it looks like a historic building, but it's located in a
strip mall. Odd juxtaposition.  I think I've posted about it before, a long,
long time ago, when I first joined the list.  On the drive back we all had a
very weird conversation--about dreams, about the disappointment of never
being able to be anyone else--and mainly about this strange sinking feeling,
a nostalgia of sorts, like a longing to be outside of your own body--I've had
this feeling ever since I was a kid, it leaves as quickly as it comes, but it
seems to be indescribable.  My older sister told us all that as a child she
referred to this feeling as "the pear."  I thought that was interesting.
>From now on, even though as I've gotten older I have this feeling less and
less, I will constantly think of eating a pear whenever I feel it again.
    For those of you who are interested--I found out that in the latest issue
of "Open City", Stuart David has an article/story (not sure what it was, I
only got a chance to glance at it)--but, anyhow, it looks interesting. Go
Stuart, good job on your success in getting published!
    So this conversation in the car seemed to be somewhat of a precursor of
things to come.  When I came home I discovered that after a four-month
struggle, my dog died.  I keep seeing a phantom Reggie, keep expecting him to
toddle into my room and settle down to sleep in a pile of dirty clothes. But
he's not here. I had to keep myself occupied today so I wouldn't have to
think of it.  I know that I'm an adult and that I shouldn't get so emotional
about a dog, but I can't help it. He was like a person to me; I mean, christ,
I loved that dog.  Sometimes he seemed to understand me. I feel so schmaltzy
saying all of this, but it's true.  I will miss calling him by his various
nicknames--Reggums, buddy, baby, snowball, snowwy, ol' powderhorn, big
fella--gosh, and I will miss the strange noises my dad makes whenever he sees
him, my dad does something to the effect of a screaming baby talk, "OOOOOH!
BIG FELLA! LOOK AT THE BIG PUPPY!"  But mostly, I think I'll miss hanging out
with Reggie at the top of the steps where he'd always sit.  And as he'd see
me walking up the stairs, he'd do his stretched-out-anticipating wiggle.
    So, rest in peace big fella. You certainly made my life better.

    Oh--special props go out to Youn, who may be the only person who reads my
posts.

    Oh--and also--for those of you who are to receive Xmas gifts from me: I'm
sorry I was so slow in sending them out. I promise you, they are on their
way.   They will have to be New Years gifts and not Xmas ones.

    thank you,
    mandee  m a y