Sinister: oh! what's the Matteo here?

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Fri Feb 2 21:49:43 GMT 2001

START

TOWER BRIDGE

I hadn't heard from Robinson in a long while. The last I'd heard he was
spending his days talking unprofitably to strangers on the internet, in
between bouts of unsatisfying and poorly-paid occasional work.

REALLY STUPID

I listened to the first record I ever bought, again, the other day. I
thought it fabulous: in fact, I thought it sounded better than ever. There
were things - the piano break on 'Don't Want Anything To Change', for
instance - which, 13 years and a few bands on, sounded a lot more impressive
than they did in the suburbs of 1988.

THE LOOK

Even for aesthetes like us, vanity projects are not the way forward.
Robinson has never been tempted to grow a moustache.

RAIN, ASPHALT AND LIGHT

I listened to The Trinity Session again too. I didn't even bother dragging
out the old Chris Roberts reviews. I can pretty much quote them verbatim
anyway. The album practically made me want to go and form a quiet, echoingly
minimal rootsy folk-country combo that plays original materials and cover
versions of cunningly-adapted standards.

JOHN FLINTSTONE

We made it. It was a close thing at times, but we survived. We staggered out
of the B%(*&dale gig still intact, just about. We had trained ourselves for
weeks with special sick-bags, manufactured in a new factory outside
Warrington, thinking that at the end of this course we would be ready for
anything B^&%^dale could throw at us. Of course, we were wrong.

SWEDEN / SWEDEN / OOOH!

There had been rumours that Robinson had become embroiled in a heterosexual
relationship, but he hotly denied them.

He took me to a travel inn on the outskirts of Basingstoke. It was said that
Samuel Richardson had once stayed on the site of the original inn, the
Robertson Arms.

TINY VICTORIES

Robinson reads to me from the Melody Maker, Spring 1989. Pat Kane of Hue and
Cry, responding to an interviewer, says that he corresponds with a
13-year-old girl, who worries alternately about her skin and the state of
the ozone layer. 'She's the Ordinary Angel, the archetypal Hue and Cry fan'.

TYNE BRIDGE

He said that it would have been absurd to ask Mondrian to add a few more
colours to his palette.

I cannot tell you where he finally found 'Love'.

END

 +-+             "Nee, nee mun pish, chan pai dee kwa"              +-+