Sinister: They've Repainted the Railings

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Feb 4 16:23:48 GMT 2001

Hi All,

(or at least the 3 people reading this today)

It was washing up that got me into all this Belle and Sebastian nonsense in
the first place, as I used to listen to Mark'n'Lard's Graveyard Shift up to
the edges of my marigolds in the suds back in '96, yelling at Sally to tell
me "Who are this band again?" as they played The State I Am In or somesuch.

Ahhh.

Belle and Sebastian/On the radio/Playing songs for parents.

Stevenage, oh town of cycle tracks and my birth. Zooming through the
underpasses swerving past scared early morning shoppers on the way to work
at the Lister Hospital. Walking the flying bridge from the railway station
through the Leisure Centre to the pedestrian only shopping precinct with
futuristic clock tower, cars flying underneath like some torrent in the St
Gothard pass. Cycling again, this time a demented 3 a.m. ride to the
Maternity Hospital in Hitchin, so as not to miss the birth of second child.

New Town, good songs.

I think the Eiffel Tower is called that: with a definite article, implying
something singular. One is invited to view it as a unified structure, albeit
definitely composed of 18,000 metal sections & 2.5 million rivets. It is not
called "12,000 girders".

I do think however, that an album calling itself "69 Love Songs" invites the
listener to regard it as a project composed of separate elements that should
be able to pass scrutiny on an individual basis. Indeed, that may be the
only way to examine it, for if viewed as single piece of architecture it
undoubtedly collapses.

Paul Verlaine used to take detours to avoid seeing the Eiffel Tower, once
describing it as absolutely fucking awful.

Peter: am I blind, because apart from not being able to see the Emperor's
new clothes, I couldn't find out who the 5 o'clock hero was in the Duke of
Harangue's piece?

I also had to re-read your last post a few times as you followed up tongues
up backsides with Struan's "rectorial campaign", & you had me going for a
while.

Happy Birthday to any lovely people that have one today.

Love,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK

 +-+             "Nee, nee mun pish, chan pai dee kwa"              +-+