Sinister: Rectal complications when Norman pulls out surprisingly early

sleeka at xxx.com sleeka at xxx.com
Sun Feb 4 22:32:28 GMT 2001

This is from
http://www.nme.com/NME/External/News/News_Story/0,10
04,15664,00.html

Yours always,
Chris
www.sleekasounds.com

NORMAN CONQUEST CALLED OFF

NORMAN BLAKE from TEENAGE FANCLUB has stood down
from the nominations for Rector of GLASGOW
UNIVERSITY to make way for BELLE AND SEBASTIAN
frontman STUART MURDOCH.

University student Steven Findlay had nominated Blake,
and in accordance with Rectorial Election rules, he had
accepted the nomination. However, when he found out
yesterday (February 1) that Stuart was also among the
candidates, he stood down.

Blake told NME.COM: "Stuart's a friend of mine and I
pulled out when I heard he was up for it. It's daft to
have two indie-rockers go for the same post. Stuart
went to Glasgow Uni and Belle And Sebastian did the
video for 'Legal Man' [their Number 15 hit from last
year] there."

He reiterated that there is no rivalry between the two
bands, with B&S member Chris Geddes having spent two
weeks on tour with Teenage Fanclub in Japan recently,
and said he planned to throw his weight behind Stuart's
bid to become Rector.

Murdoch has dropped out of Glasgow University three
times, and it was thought to be the support of Belle And
Sebastian fans studying at the Uni that helped the band
win their Brit award for Best Newcomer two years ago.

Steven Findlay added: "I feel that this amazing display
of West of Scotland camaraderie proves what a kind and
generous person Norman is and shows what a brilliant
rector he would have been."

Murdoch will face competition from stand-up comedian
and actress Karen Dunbar, comedian Greg Hemphill -
both of whom appear on the BBCTV series 'Chewing The
Fat' and author and artist Alasdair Gray.

The elections take place on February 28, with more than
15,000 students eligible to vote. The new Rector will
serve three years and is expected to attend seven
council meetings per year. Previous rectors
include 'EastEnders' star Ross Kemp, who resigned after
just two years, due to pressure of work, actor Richard
Wilson, TV presenter Johnny Ball, singer Pat Kane and
Winnie Mandela.

 +-+             "Nee, nee mun pish, chan pai dee kwa"              +-+