Sinister: With the cars and the girls, it's a glamorous world

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Mon Feb 5 13:25:09 GMT 2001

Hello everyone,
Someone was making a film in my road on Saturday.  There were lots of people
dotted down the road, all wearing eyepatches.  I would have hung around to
find out more, but I was in a hurry to get to Oxford station to meet some
friends for a ramble around rural Oxfordshire, which was very, very muddy,
as is now evidenced by the half a field on the soles of my poor battered
reeboks.

What does the Rector of a Scottish uni do?  Is (s)he like the Chancellor of
an English one?  I was quite disappointed that at my graduation ceremony in
Bristol my degree was granted to me by the *Vice* Chancellor - monkeys &
organ grinders come to mind (oh dear, too many jokes).  The VC in question
(a he) used to wear quite a lot of make-up at the ceremony, which was not a
pretty sight.

Pinefox - I love your posts.  Have we met?  If so you couldn't have
introduced yourself as Pinefox.  I *do* like Joy Division as it happens, and
like you I'm looking forward to the 24hr Party People movie, although the
casting of Steve Coogan as Anthony H. Wilson is just too bizarre....

NME are raving about the Strokes...well they would, wouldn't they?  I saw
them on Friday and didn't think they were up to much.  Not quite sure about
the V.U. influence - I didn't spot it.  Too much posing and not enough
musical effort and it is HARDLY A GOOD IDEA to harangue the crowd for an
insufficiently enthusiastic welcome.....

January was a real gig-fest and February looks like it's going to be more of
the same.  Trembling Blue Stars and the Clientele on Saturday, which I'm
really looking forward to.....Clientele's album is the only thing I have
ever bought online, incidentally.  Consulting my newly acquired copy of
Oxford's music rag "Nightshift" I learn that we have Arab Strap and Grand
Drive to look forward to, as well as a band called the Afternoons who, we
are told, are b&s influenced, so I'll have to go to find out how much.....

The other notable feature of this month's nightshift was a review of a demo
by my colleague Jamie's band, Vehicle Derek.  Jamie has been out of the
office today on a training course, so there couldn't be a better time for
passing said music rag from desk to desk, so everyone can read how Vehicle
Derek are "absolute mindless trash" which "sounds far more like the true
spirit of punk than the polished turd that is Blink 182".

mark.
 +-+             "Nee, nee mun pish, chan pai dee kwa"              +-+