Sinister: Mediocre Rhetoric (Preferred Platform: The Tire Swing)

Kim kgirton at xxx.com
Mon Feb 5 19:07:39 GMT 2001

Hello all...
   Been a while since I last posted, so most of you probably have never heard/read any of my ramblings until now... Which could put you at an advantage in that you'll go into this without a preconcieved bias, be it for or against whatever happens to be my inconsequential opinion at any given moment.  Though I think, theoretically, that wandering into the minds of others without a single bias is how all Sinister postings should be read, but then again... that's why there's two completely different definitions for "theory" and "reality."
   So my whole point in posting this time, as my life is completely boring and talking about it is sure to help my fellow twee isomniacs find the peace they're looking for, is to respond to the article recently alluded to: you know, the "Magnetic Fields VS. Belle and Sebastian" article.  The power of freedom of speech once again allows someone to proverbially stain the hearts of others who may find an overly-self-righteous assertation about the state of ANYTHING to be a bit disturbing.
   Don't get me wrong - I'm certainly not AGAINST the freedom of speech, nor do I oppose everyone's right to use it at their convenience. I simply harbor an irritatingly large pet peeve for people who assume they are absolutely right and state opinions as though they are fact.
   To bring it a little closer to something specific, I am referring to the position taken in the article that pop is not and cannot be democratic.  One simple question: "Said who?"  Since when are there set rules for the making of pop?  Isn't part of the joy of experiencing our feeble world of indie pop the fact that there are no rules or guidelines?  I don't think even Stephen Merritt would argue with that.  I own and adore "69 Love Songs."  But I wouldn't place it above Belle & Sebastian according to musical merit simply because Stuart Murdoch refuses to take some sort of "leader of the pack" musical high ground.  And I'd venture to say that it's possible Stephen Merritt doesn't assume that his work is more acceptable "pop" than B&S's simply because most of his work involves other musicians but is largely organized around and associated with the name "Stephen Merritt."  Some musicians prefer that method; others don't.  Why does this dichotomy have to set boundaries?
   From where I stand, it seems as though the only merit in asserting a "leader" in any given pop group would be to provide the media with one specific name to which to refer in all their various rantings and ravings, instead of having to actually list all musicians involved.  Which really isn't much of a merit other than it's a little less hard on the fingertips of those who have to write the articles.
   Alisdair is more than welcome to his opinion.  I simply wish he'd state it as such, rather than asserting that *everyone KNOWS pop cannot be democratic*.
  That being said, I want to make sure I mention that this is simply my opinion, and if anyone thinks I'm completely off the mark, more power to you.  I'm open to suggestions and the tweaking of my stance on things in general.  After all, this list wouldn't be nearly as entertaining or though-provoking if we all agreed on everything.
  Thanks for your time, Sini's.  This list is the best, and so are all of you.  P.S. Another special thanks to Jules for the transatlantic post. :)  It's lovely to have such a wonderful extended family.
  Best wishes to everyone, and I'll see you around the playground.  It's safe to assume I'm the one on the big multi-slide, tire-netted, Wooden-Fort (with the firepole escape route) contraption, gripping the rusty and askew Steering-Wheel-Going-Nowhere and making engine sounds...
  Hugs to everyone, unless you don't like invasion of your personal space, in which case I extend a friendly hand for shaking - Kim (KGirton at email.com)

 +-+             "Nee, nee mun pish, chan pai dee kwa"              +-+