Sinister: Merritt vs. Murdoch in a Battle of the Poppest

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Tue Feb 6 22:46:05 GMT 2001

Hello,
	So *that* was the article about B&S. I read through the first
paragraph and after realizing it was some sort of dissertation on why
Mr. Fitchett is far too obsessed with 69 Love Songs, I stopped
reading. Now having skimmed over the bits where he goes on and on
about creating mobiles of pictures of Stephin Merritt to put over his
bed, I find that there is actually some mention of Belle & Sebastian
in there.
	This sort of thing infuriates me to no end. Critics. People
who seem to think that they are illuminating us about our own
opinions. Most people realize there cannot be objective standards for
music. Since I do, here's mine, but keep in mind I am guessing that a
lot of other people liked 69 Love Songs more than FISHYCLAP by the
looks of things. And that's fine if that's the way they feel.
	However I seem to have taken the opposite tack. In love with
Fold Your Hands and disappointed by 69 Love Songs. I respect that 69
Love Songs is very interesting conceptually. But the bare fact is
that no one is capable of writing 69 quality songs in that short a
span of time. So as a result we get joke songs as filler, moments of
brilliance and lots of mediocrity in between. It's all very
interesting as a concept but piss-poor as an album if you ask me.
Like if in the VU boxed set they would have mixed the album tracks in
with the unreleased demos. I don't fault the Magnetic Fields for
releasing this record but I find it difficult to imagine anyone
liking this record enough to tout it above their heads, comparing
contemporary albums spuriously.
	In the article Mr. Fitchett asks the reader how many times he
or she has actually listened to FISHYCLAP and how many all the way
through. For my part I could probably answer more than any other
album which came out in the year 2000, whereas I only managed to
listen to the entirety of 69 Love Songs once, the first time I
brought it back from the store, and subsequent discs found their way
onto my CD player quite sparsely. I see it as a great shame that such
great songs as "Ferdinand de Saussure" are featured on the same album
as "Punk Love."
	And as for the Magnetic Fields being driven by Merritt and
B&S being a collective due to Struan's seeming reluctance to be a
frontman. This is very true, but if Belle & Sebastian were to release
69 of Struan's songs I think I would feel the same way. I would
really like to see Stuart Murdoch be more of a focus in Belle &
Sebastian, and I don't think I am alone in that. But to see Belle &
Sebastian become a vehicle for his whims of fancy would be far too
much of a good thing. If we have to endure the Ringo-like musings of
other B&S members' songs, so be it. Take it part & parcel. I always
did like Octopus' Garden anyway.
--
Brian Pennington, aka Mick McMick | cellophanesky at mac.com | ICQ# 39021436
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>