Sinister: When I grow up I want to be Stuart Murdoch

Genevieve Wesley jiffy_popper at xxx.com
Wed Feb 7 02:58:20 GMT 2001

Because it seems he can do everything! Poet, singer-songwriter, janitor, bus
driver, potential Rector, and probably Dashing Firefighter who rescues
kittens. I am curious as to what it is a Rector does?

I thought the Magnetic Fields vs Belle & Sebastian piece was quite
interesting, as the Magnetic Fields have always been one of those bands that
I should like and that everyone loves but I just never got into..maybe my
tastes weren't ready for them a few years ago, I don't know. Try, try,
again. I don't hate them or anything, I like a few songs, sometimes for
pleasure I even do a strange ballet dance to You Love To Fail. But for me,
they will not come close to the height of B&S. Strange to observe the
delirious love the Duke has for them in contrast to my absence of feeling.
I really liked Kim's post. It seems like many immediately jump at being the
self-righteous victim and throw out the 'well, it's MY RIGHT' me me
mememememe stomp-your-foot. It's always about what's owed to someone, but
never the responsibilites. It is refreshing that Stuart Murdoch cares and
thinks about others instead of always himself and this is why he is lovely
and yummy and the icing on my cake and has the most beautiful singing voice.
So maybe they will and maybe they won't be releasing beautiful records year
after year, but how can Pop music be about longevity when all of this won't
be around in 40 years anyways. It's the moments that count. I am remembering
a 14 year old girl buying If You're Feeling Sinister from a gorgeous record
store boy, and her not knowing anything about the band she was about to
hear. I remember her secretly listening to Tigermilk on headphones in boring
classes. I am thinking of certain parts in The Loneliness of the Middle
Distance Runner, Expectations, There's Too Much Love...and OH, it goes on,
those certain bits that just break me. Like the line in Le Pastie, 'how you
love, and the halo surrounds you' make me feel like running, to be all
windswept and exhilirated, pure joy! Maybe there will be fewer moments, but
how beautiful they are. When I'm an old lady cruising down the highway,
listening to the oldies station, hopefully I'll hear B&S and those Moments
and nostalgic feelings will all come flooding back, and oh how I'll yearn
for Magical Elf Struan once more.

Love,
Genevieve

p.s
Did the Poetry Parrot die again? The following is apparently The Worst Poem
Ever Written in the English Language. "Theophile Marzials..born in 1850...he
once interrupted a hushed library room by loudly declaiming: 'Am I not the
darling of the British Museum Reading Room?' He also had an enthusiastic
propensity for giving impromptu public recitals of his works."

A Tragedy
Theophile Marzials

Death!
Plop.
The barges down in the river flop.
Flop,plop.
Above, beneath.
>From the slimy branches the grey drips drop...
To the oozy waters, that lounge and flop...
And my head shrieks-"Stop"
And my heart shrieks-"Die"...

Ugh! yet I knew-I knew
if a woman is false can a friend be true?
It was only a lie from beginning to end-
My Devil-My "Friend"...

So what do I care,
And my head is empty as air-
I can do,
I can dare
(Plop, plop
The barges flop
Drip, drop.)
I can dare, I can dare!
And let myself all run away with my head
And stop.
Drop
Dead.
Plop, flop.