Sinister: Struan's rectal challenge.

Katy Dutton jellybabs at xxx.com
Thu Feb 8 10:08:18 GMT 2001

Re subject line: I see the stealth spelling error software is working again.

Well, there he was all wee and strong with his scruffy hair and grey shirt.
Smiling.  Waving people to "come in, have a seat, if you can find one."  Wee
Struan.  And there was Geddes, bowl cut and green jacket intact.

The nominator, Daniel Quipp, was handing out iced doughnuts from Safeway
with B&S badges on the packets. (Where did he get such a surplus of blimmin'
badges?)

Quick introduction from Messr Quipp (Struan needs an intro?) and Murdoch was
off, talking about policies and third world hunger and the national debt and
50m pools out at the Garscube complex in Glasgow.

Na not really, well not the policies and third world hunger bit.

What exactly did he say (for a measely half an hour sans hecklers)?

What does Stuart Murdoch have to offer the students as rector in light of
the fact that he has dropped out of Uni 3 times?

"Empathy. I came to Uni in 1985 (matric no: 854440) up to the big city and
got lost in it and basically didn't do any work.  I don't know how student's
manage it nowadays and I really admire them that stick in and get a degree
as it is so hard now.  You have to get a part-time job you have no benefits,
no grants etc.  Then there's making friends.  I didn't have a proper friend
a Uni till [squints] erm, third year.  Err, I didn't even get to third
year... I didn't even have a proper friend at uni.  So basically
understanding and empathy."

Will you be in and around the university much?

"Well, I live just down the road and I normally start my day off in the
Grosvenor cafe so it won't trouble me any more to stroll another quarter of
a mile to the rector's office.  The band [do extensive touring and lots of
sponsoring/leg-work and we're always in the studio - oops sorry.  He really
said]  The band are going to be a bit more busy this year [hinting at a
tour, definitely] but when we go away on tour its for no more than 2 weeks
at a time.  So I can't foresee any problems with my attendance.  Anyway, I
love using the QM laundry.  I don't have a washing machine in my house, so I
use the QM laundry sometimes.  Being rector will mean that I don't get the
usual funny looks whilst doing my washing.  Incidentally, they've got some
great irons in there [he did actually say this]."

At which point someone asked, in a very quiet voice: "I thought that the
last rector was basically a bag of shit, will you be any better?"

Struan: "Sorry, I couldn't hear you.  I could have sworn that you said that
you thought 'the last record was a bag of shit'.  Well, our bassist left the
band, we had problems in the studio etc."

Voice: "Na, I thought it was alright actually".

Struan: :)

There were lots of stupid questions asked with hardly coherent or cogent
asnwers so I've edited them out.  I've just provided a para-phrased edited
highlights, really.

Do I get my Juniour Reporter's Badge now Honey?  Please?

David Howie. :)