Sinister: Putting Damp Trunks Back On

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Feb 8 20:34:24 GMT 2001

I feel really sorry for Stuart Murdoch for not having any proper friends at
university. I didn't have any proper friends at university either. And
neither did any of my proper friends. It was terrible, we all used to sit
around supporting each other through the traumatic experience of not having
any proper friends.

Those interested in rectorial duties should point their browser at:
http://www.src.gla.ac.uk/rector
and if they are tooled up with Acrobat, directly at:
http://www.src.gla.ac.uk/rector/rector_role.pdf
where all will be revealed. The most interesting thing from our point of
view is the frightening fact that the rector has a full-time secretary,
Noreen Jennings. The role of rector appears to call for more than "empathy
and understanding". I doubt our candidate has read it, to be honest.

Always keen for a bit of rough and tumble with the Pinefox, I went back for
a go on the Lloyd Cole listening post. It was the same result as before, No
More Love Songs well out in front, with a late challenge from the last song.
I didn't have the patience for Vin Ordinaire to get going, so that might be
another contender. I did notice at least two references to LA and one to
Amsterdam, where Lloyd famously once spent a lost weekend in a hotel, of
course. I must admit that one thing did slightly raise my hackles. Lloyd
sings, "she called collect," when surely "she reversed the charges" would
have been more appropriate for someone from Derbyshire. But overall it
sounded like a good album, although I got a bit bored by the end. I think
this shows one of the basic problems with listening posts, we expect instant
gratification, and it's all too easy to press the skip button, or
accidentally lean on the bit where the headphones rest when not in use. And
they don't let you listen to the whole song. Not a good way to form a
judgement. Better to take a risk, I think.

I also had another go on the Magnetic Fields listening post, getting as far
as Love Song number 10 this time. They were all absolute shit, I certainly
couldn't tell which ones were jokes and which ones weren't, unless a badly
played banjo indicates humourous intent. No one sang like an angel. Everyone
sang like indie rockers. The tunes were appallingly leaden. Amazon.co.uk
have chosen it as one of their Valentine's Day recommended gifts. I foresee
many broken romances.

What I like most about Tangents is that it's the only place where I can read
middle-aged men showing off about getting free records. There's an excellent
example at the moment, in Duke's article about Limp Biscuit. It's
particularly good because he follows it up with a reminder that we mortals
have to pay money for records, like the sad sacks of arse that we are. I
think the Duke talks a lot of shite, but I really miss him when he
disappears for a few weeks. He is our friend. Tangents is like his spiritual
autobiography disguised as a hip Sunday supplement.

I wish I got free records :-(

Sister Disco