Sinister: Page the Oracle

Robin Stout ppyrrjs at xxx.uk
Fri Feb 9 20:41:39 GMT 2001

Hello

I went to see Stephen Merritt do an acoustic set of his songs once,
because I heard he was good. He was really very smug and ironical.
I don't like him very much.

On the bus to Birmingham, where we saw him, there was an old man
who had been shopping for eggs. He was very frail and seemed like
the sort of chap who doesn't go to the shops very often except to
buy his monthly supply of eggs. He pressed the bell and stood up,
then somehow he managed to stagger about the bus and drop his
eggs everywhere. It was pretty embarrassing. "Oooh, me eggs" he
cried. So we helped him out and mopped up the mess with Magnetic
Fields flyers. So in a way, despite the fact that I don't like him very
much, Mr Merritt helped to rescue a poor old man's pride.

David and Struan both mentioned the wonder of Teletext. My sister
and I always used to read Teletext, or Oracle as it was then, when
we came home from school. There used to be a teenager's section
with a letters page, advice page, "Debbie's Diary", and the 'world's
only Teletext soap opera', "Park Avenue". It was great. I thought it
was very futuristic. Although it's hopelessly outmoded nowadays,
with its two letter sizes and five colours, and letters that disappear
when your telly's not tuned in properly, Teletext still makes me feel
like I'm living in the Space Age.

Robin x