Sinister: In memory of Phyllis Pierce.

Will Salt wpsalt at xxx.com
Fri Feb 9 20:07:23 GMT 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Ruvi Simmons wrote:

> On an entirely different subject, and the real reason I am writing this, I
> was wondering if anybody went to Edinburgh University, because I was
> thinking of applying. Is it good? Is the city nice? Does it have a good
> English department?

I went to Edinburgh University.  I graduated, but I'm still at it, mostly
because i don't want to either move house or get a proper job.  it's
reasonable, as universities go, but i have nothing to compare it with.
According to rumour and constant press releases, it's almost bankrupt.

Every morning i push books around the university library, and every
afternoon i try to think of something to say about the archaeology of
North-West Scotland.  We have lots of English books, which is probably a
good thing.  We have nowhere to put them all, actually; one of my jobs is
to push them round and try to make them fit.  There are lots of copies of
Jurassic Park.  Is that good or bad, then?  You can spot the arts-faculty
students at twenty paces, just by the way they dress.

That could be the jumping-off point for another
"why-i-don't-like-x-random-group-of-people" posts, but i can't be arsed.
Someone else can fill that bit in.  Ken's one was good, partly because it
was both funny *and* true.

We should start a charity, you know, for star-crossed lovers who live at
opposite ends of their continents, across oceans, and suchlike.  Rattle
our buckets to raise them the air fare, penny by penny.  They deserve it.
People who ask for the money will be turned away; we shall hand the
tickets out to people who look or speak in the suitable manner.  By their
words we shall know them.  I've already spotted a few about the place, you
know.  Miss Crush just isn't *enough* for these people.

Edinburgh is a nice city, i suppose.  the only other place i've ever lived
is Grimsby, which doesn't really compare even though i think i can see
beauty in its fog and low buildings.  edinburgh had hills, cliffs, gorges
and tall bridges.  it is beautiful all over, too.  i can see a panorama of
the city on a february afternoon, with all the buildings fading into
themselves save for the spires of St. Mary's Cathedral.  on the other side
of the firth, there is snow on the hills.  the city smells of beer, as
usual.

at least if you do english at edinburgh (or archaeology, for that matter),
you can avoid the scientists, who have all their own theatres, labs and
libraries.  It's rumoured that the Physics Department many years ago
enslaved a beautiful princess and keep her chained in the bowels of the J.
Maxwell Building, feeding their computers and preventing them escaping.  I
would find a white horse, a suit of armour, ride there and rescue her;
however, i am afraid of the physicists.  They are all goths, you know.
besides, i have never ridden a horse in my life.  it would be all the way
across the other side of the city.

xx
will

(apologies to anyone i should be apologising to)

--
Will Salt

"one day, everything will be grate, as long as you are willing to make it
to be..."  -- J. Maxwell, not of Building fame.

ICQ 66321009