Sinister: On Loving the Isobel Girl

colin thornton colinboy21 at xxx.com
Fri Feb 16 00:08:10 GMT 2001

I have (in the last few years) slowly developed an infatuation with
an old friend-girl, who in her own way is the perfect match of Isobel
Campbell (or at least the Isobel that I have in my head). Her name is Agnes,
and I haven't seen her in three years. I had the biggest crush on her while
she was here, but I had a five year girlfriend at the time.  Agnes moved to
Utah and I occasionally forgot about her.

My girlfriend and I are recently split, which is a shame because she had
become the quintessence of twee during the time that I was dating her.  So,
my thoughts have turned to Agnes...and they stay there.  And
while Agnes and I are in contact, e-mailing poems and sweet messages,
I'm uncertain what I should do, being that I live in Kentucky and she lives
in Utah.  I graduate this semester, and I'm falling in love with her at a
rapid speed, as if I were making up for lost time.  She seems to be
appreciative and interested in my love (but is smarter than me and more
realistic about flights of long-distance romantic fancy). I don't really
know what to do.  I thought that it might be therapy to write the list.  I
have a Lazy Line Painter Jane complex to boot because I'm attracted to girls
that make wierd little scrapbooks like the one in the video. The only
problem is that these girls don't exist here (or they are hiding). But Agnes
is Lazy Line Painter Jane to me.  Identity crisis: when a song is manifested
onto an adored friend.  Oh well...

It is rather hard to find an indie girl in a non-indie world.  I
think everyone on the list can relate because we all seem to be born too
late (or too soon, I can't decide).  People are too-cool-for-the-school now
and whether we're talking about townies or frat boys, nobody cares to
understand the indie lifestyle, the sad and lonely world of being a Belle
and Sebastian fan.  As much as this list brings me happiness by uniting the
scattered sensitive childlike creatures of the world, it also makes me sad
that you all aren't here to hang out with me and get to know me.  Maybe I'll
meet more interesting people when I move to Chicago (to study at Second
City) or to Salt Lake City, Utah (out of love and no other reason) but I'm
close to miserable right now...and that pretty much sucks.

Love,
Colin