Sinister: you were right when you said 'all that glitters isn't gold'

Emily Wilska wilska at xxx.net
Fri Feb 16 19:31:16 GMT 2001

Allo.

So much lately has been making me grin, despite the fact that I had to
endure yet another V********'s Day without a proper V********.  You lot,
combined with the armloads of fabulous cd's I've been spending my money
on of late, just sort of make me want to go through my days humming.

Before I forget: I met my first real live Sinistereen (well, other than
myself) a few weeks back.  Indeed, none other than Jason the Pickle
Prince, who filled the Hush Hush here in San Francisco for his birthday
earlier this month.  I recognized him by his hat, and got to chat with
him and his girlfriend (also named Emily, which caused me no small
confusion) about topics I cannot recall.  Fun!  Then I sat back down,
drank more, and eventually left with a tall and lovely Canadian boy,
whom I had to stand on my toes to kiss.  So much excitement in one small
evening.

Laura Llew mentioned "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs," which is
undeniably one of my favorite children's books.  For that mention,
Laura, I shall hereby fulfill your request for a mix tape.  Just send me
your address and 90 minutes of musical glory will make their way to your
door within the next week.

Anyway.  Ruvi said

I think the problem is that pretty girls do not make great thinkers.

and then went on to say a good deal more, much of which raised my
hackles.  Without wanting to start a huge debate here, I will just say
that filing girls away into either the 'pretty' or 'smart' categories is
a massive oversimplification at best.  And maybe you were sort of
kidding, Ruvi, in which case I'm fidgeting in my chair for no real
reason.  But if you really believe we're living in an 'obscene society
of fleeting images,' would it not make sense to perhaps avoid making
claims like those you made?

It just seems sort of disappointing to me that even in 2001, and even in
a community as ostensibly open and intelligent and feeling as Sinister,
one can claim that women are still either attractive or intelligent,
with no middle ground.  I, for one, think many of the females on this
list are proof positive that that sort of thinking just doesn't hold.

But off the soapbox.

You should all really go out NOW and beg, borrow, or buy (just don't
steal) as much Built to Spill as you can get your hands on.

Time for more coffee and a nice dose of cold meds.

-Emily