Sinister: From Time Down To Mind, That Time Was Bad

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Fri Feb 16 20:49:45 GMT 2001

SO LONG, LUCKY AVENUE

Today's has-been's old hat is Ricky Lee Jones. Plus,
Robert Johnson, and probably - well, how could it be
otherwise? -'Robert' "Forster".

OH! TO BE / LIKE EMILY!!

Emily of the List said:

It just seems sort of disappointing to me that even in
2001, and even in a community as ostensibly open and
intelligent and feeling as Sinister, one can claim
that women are still either attractive or intelligent,
with no middle ground.  I, for one, think many of the
females on this list are proof positive that that sort
of thinking just doesn't hold.

Oh, golly, yes, dear. But spare a thought for those of
us who are desperate just to get put in one or other
of those reductive pigeon-holes. We (I speak for a
legion, or just for myself) have spent out lives
occupying the imaginative, many-sided,
'fuzzy-thinking' postmodern *both / and* position of
being *both* unattractive *and* dull. We want to get
back to simplistic binary oppositions for once, and
have something going for us.

(YOU'RE SO)

That word 'ineffectual' is getting on for 6 centuries
old, or something. That's what I heard. No kidding.

FOX IS POLYSEMIC TOO

Carsmillie talked about Wembley rumours still needing
to be made up. He made me chuckle, or something
approaching it - I mean, I thought he was a funny
geezer, when he said that. But he did immediately, and
surely knowingly, raise the problem that once he had
spoken of the rumours not being made up, he'd begun to
make them up. Still, they do need more elaboration,
it's true.

I DON'T THINK I'LL GO BACK TO NEW JERSEY

Mooro, or somebody - I *think* it was Mooro - talked
about B&S recording that soundtrack. Again! He was
right, though. You see, I gave up on the idea of
getting Ally96 and The Care Bear to play on the
soundtrack. The idea was class, but the money-men just
weren't having it. I decided to ask this guitar player
'Stevie Jackson' instead. Watch this space.

A PICTURE OF HER AT THE PYRAMIDS

I have long maintained that fans of les Go-Betweens
are not good at coming out of the woodwork and
*justifying* their love. And this week has done little
to change my mind. A little, but not that much.

JESUS, JUST READ THE GODDAMN BOOK

Does anyone read Salinger *other than* The Catcher in
the Rye nowadays? I suppose the answer is yes: but me,
I have taken a good old time, my own sour time you may
say, getting round to it. Does Franny & Zooey have any
fans? That's what I'd like to know. And is all this
Glass-Family-Menagerie stuff a 'break' from Caulfield,
or an 'extension' of it? I don't know - the first
section of F&Z still lands us in that East-Coast
college-kid world, but is that a set-up to be knocked
down? There seems to be something a little stranger, a
little more ambitious, about Salinger, than I'd quite
managed fully to realize till now. Mainly, I didn't
realize that the books were connected up as they are.

Is it true, by the way, that Pynchonians just don't
like Salinger?