Sinister: cos i'm a rag doll

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Sun Feb 18 06:08:45 GMT 2001

Hi Sinister,

> Phases. I really don't like when this term or this kind of mentality
> is used to describe sexuality. I happen (this is just me!) to think
> the best way to look at sexuality and relationships is a case-by-case
> basis. If you like someone, go out with them and do things people who
> like each other do. If you dont, then don't.

I like the idea of this, and I like how Jason puts it, but I find myself
led astray by boys' handwriting specifically cos it's theirs; the way the
letters come out shrunken and crumpled, like laundry left in the dryer too
long.  That and their doodling in the margins of notebooks - usually
architectural-looking things - all lines and planes, with shading and
perspective.  From a girl, it just wouldn't be the same: ah, she's trying
to be a tomboy or something like that, I would think.

PF wrote:
> Llaura Llew returned, more than once. She talked about
> being inside eating (or was it drinking?) chocolate
> while it snowed outside. The stray conjunction made me
> think, Llaura, in your cardigan and with your
> 'roacking horse' and Irn-Bru, you ought to hear that
> song "Chocolate Snow".
>
> You have?
>
> Oh.

I wouldn't worry.  She's probably working on a story called "Chocolate
Snow".  You know that I added all the greater than signs and spaces after
cutting and pasting?  That's cos I'm a freak.  I spied on the lacewings
list and found they were spying on us.  There's a subscriber with the
username Mariannaisweird and I checked to see if it was Marianna S. Parker
cos she's the one who was spying on us before and it was and I wanted to
see if she was calling herself weird and she was and that's the kind of
thing I like in a girl.  But I hope she's not spying now.

I don't see the point of comparing the Magnetic Fields to Belle and
Sebastian.  Maybe I would if I read Alistair's piece, but I don't want to
see it.  Before, he wrote a great piece on driving and listening to music
and how the kind of music he brought for a road trip in the US was all
wrong: it wasn't BIG enough, or something like that.  It's nice to listen
to music in different places.  I'm winding down to a confession here.  I
left the tapes in my car and either it was really cold and so that was the
reason, or else my tape deck just eats tapes.  I think it's cos the
auto-reverse is not very smart so it gets confused and doesn't know which
way to go at the end of the tape.  I've had this problem before but not in
the same car.  It was the end of 16 Lovers Lane.

Seymour Glass is my top literary crush.  (Even in books they're taken!)
Then Eddie in The Death of the Heart.  As you can see, I'm recovering from
Valentine's Day.  But I can see just what kind of mood Stuart must have
been in to write "I Don't Love Anyone".

Who is the person who said something like the response to a work of art
should be a work of art?  What were his exact words?  A former professor
quoted him and emphasized the role of inspiration, but I think of it as
a conversation.  Where is Steven Kado when you need him?  Maybe he could
say something enlightening about Wittgenstein at this point. There's an
endpoint to criticism that isn't always recognized: you can never get at
the work itself.  I think Jason McKinnon was saying something like this.
And the correspondence between words and things in the world is imperfect.
It would be useful to talk about something on its own terms, but what are
these terms?  And what are non-artists to do?  Offer mixtapes and quote
other people's poetry?

On the other hand, Richard Dalloway could not say those words when he gave
Mrs. Dalloway flowers.  Doing things with words.  Sometimes criticism
seems top-heavy.

Yours truly,
Youn