Sinister: Try it, It's Rich & Chocolatey!

Vilkas D'Angelo-Horvath vilkas at xxx.com
Sun Feb 18 19:12:40 GMT 2001

RICHMOND PICNIC ANNOUNCEMENT
    Here's a general shout out to all yous that are in Virginia. If you're
going to the LaBradford & Low show this Monday, we should meet for dinner
beforehand. We can have an indoor picnic probably involving waitresses.

LEIGH MADFLOWR & KENNETH P(ika, sorry) CHU  & SPLAT!  & ANDREA KITT'NM'SE(&
VELOCITY GIRL)
    I should say hello to Leigh Madflowr whose name I probably just spelled
wrong. I saw you and your friend at the Mojave 3 show in Baltimore last
Sunday. And if any others of yous were there, a hello to you too. I was the
black-haired girl with the neon orange/kittycat/SleaterKinney t-shirt and
grey sharkskin jacket hanging out with the girl who looked like a very short
posh spice. And yes she knows I pick on her. She does the same to me. It was
a FABulous show and I ran into my friend Ryan who works up in Baltimore now.
It was a nice night. Especially as me and my short-posh-spice-friend Maura
used to be roomates, but then we had a Huuuuuge fight, and haven't hung out
for a full evening, just us, since then.
    Plus I found out that they sell Red Bull in the US now. This makes me
very happy. Kenneth, I thought of you.
   Splat!, I played your songs off the sinister website. You rock. My cat
gave my computer the dirtiest look. Then he looked up at me and gave me the
same look along with a long siamese mmmmmmmwroowwwwwww. If he could speak
English it's like he was saying  "Mom what the fuck is that? Y'know there's
a cat in your computer. Do I have to kill your computer or are you gonna
take care of it?".
    Andrea Kittenmouse, watch out. Hot Chocolate is more addictive than
beer. Just a warning from a hot-chocolate addict. At least I've admitted it;
that's the first step.
    And Velocity Girl. Thanks for the tape and the sweets. Mmmm chocolate.
Mmmmm Rose flavour. Just throwing a quick note in here, a real letter
later...

PINEFOX
    The last thing I read by Salinger was Nine Stories. That's no more
original. I've never read Catcher in the Rye. I went to a prep school from
middle school until I graduated for a total of five years. Yep the little
plaid skirts and the whole bit. The last thing I wanted to read in high
school was something telling me about my fellow disgruntled classmates. And
now, the last thing I want to read is a memory of high school.  All this and
I'm probably mistaken as to what the books about. All this and I ***loved***
The Sopranos by Alan Warner. Dunno.
    And I know two things about the Go-Betweens other than 'You should hear
them, you'd love'em'; is Molly Ringwald's notebook in sixteen candles. Her
character had it written big across her notebook. Or is that just a skewed
memory? I think that might be wrong, I think it's a John Hughes production
though. Plus the Leonard Cohen tribute album with Robert Forster singing a
song. Mr. Forster's voice is reeeeallllly nice.

MY FRIENDS GIVE ME TALKING DOLLS.  NOT CHUCKY THOUGH, THANK FUCK.
    My friend Beth gave me a Valentine's day gift. It was unexpected. It was
cool. It was a stuffed doll from the shop where she works. It's a little
Chinese girl. Pink satin chinese-looking-style jacket with matching pink
satin ribbons in black yarn hair. Neon green t-shirt, dark jeans with a big
pink heart embroidered below one knee, pink platform mary janes. So...when
you squeeze her hand she says the English, then the Mandarin Chinese of a
bunch of different stuff. Hello,Ni Hao; How Are You?, Ni Hao Ma...
    My friend Amy, who is now a park ranger in Yellowstone and just how cool
is that, gave me a sparkly orange and pink small doll with a big flower on
it's front and big pigtails. When you pressed it's belly, it made this Boing
Boing Boing noise. She said it was a portrait of me.

A WEE STORY I.E. I HATE BEING A GROWN UP I.E. ME BITCHING ABOUT NOTHING. I
OUGHT TO BE GRATEFUL.
    At 26, I'm becoming an adult. I've stayed in three times this week on
nights when there was something to do. At fucking least I'm employed. At at
fucking least I like my job. I'm the art supply shop girl. I sell really
nice, really expensive paint. Brushes and sharp things too.
    On Monday, I did not go to the second night of Mojave 3 because I had to
be at work at 8:45 the next morning and I had only had three and a half
hours sleep the night before as me and my friend Maura had gone to Baltimore
to see Mojave 3 the night before. And I had just worked from 8:45 until 6.
    Then on St.Valentines St.Shmalentines day, I was meant to go to a
benefit show for living wage. Trixie Delicious & the Lott Lizards and the
Rah-Bras. If either of these folks come to your town you should see them cos
they do not suck. My friend, Shane, is Trixie Delicious. He is *the* most
beautiful drag queen ever. He becomes a combination of Dolly Parton and
Patsy Cline in a sporty Versace dress with Nick Cave's voice coming out. An
old fashioned, good blend of northern soul & old school country music. Like
when country and soul and rock and roll were much closer in definition to
each other. Plus hand claps and "Woooooooo!!!"s and a mandolin and the girl
who plays keyboards, plays something old and ***bright orange***. The
Rah-Bras just rock. Like Blonde Redhead if they played Rocket From The
Crypt's songs. And they have been known to sell deluxely decorated Bras as
promotional items.
    Anyway. It was another case of a nine hour day with another one waiting
at 8:45 the next day.
    And tonight. I had today off. I got up, made coffee & breakfast and went
back to bed and cuddled with the cat and listened to Excuses For Travellers
on repeat/shuffle for about 4 hours. Around two I got out of bed. Errand
time! Bank. The tire place (as there is a nail in my tire that is
unpatchable, but the nail is sticking firmly enough to drive around).  Then
the really big store. I hate the really big store, but I love xtra cheap
film developing and seven dollars for a 5 pound bag of walnuts. I had some
of my photographs from last year in Scotland (  & little bit of Ireland &
England too) developed. It's awful exciting; like getting back on an
airplane. One of my vegatable bins in my fridge is still half full of
exposed films. Oh Dear.
    But as the really big store is evil in the bad way, it sucked me in.  I
ended upcoming home with a new-fangled mop, a swiffer. I figured it was ok,
cos the mop i have now is from a dumpster and does not actually do anything
but wet the floor. After I looked at my photos I was gonna go out to an
early punkrock show of my friend Brien's band, Lycosa. Their record is
something like 20 songs 20 minutes. Wrraaahhh. I decided I didn't wanna deal
with snooty secnester 15-21 year old punkrock kids cos I'm *not punk rock
enough and I don't even have any tattoos*. What-ever. It's not me, it's
them. No offence to any non snooty punk rock kids. You're alright. Or any
15-21 year olds.  You're alright too. Plus, I couldn't be bothered to put my
shoes back on anyway. No Loud Rahhhk tonight then.
    I could have gone to see another friend's band. See, this town is small,
but there's at least one band for every two people and often all the good
ones play on the same night. Some are good, some aren't, same everywhere
though. Jessica plays the saw. It sounds cool as shit. like a theremin. Her
and the other guy in the band, Phil, call themselves 'Toothpick'. Saw=tooth;
Guitar=pick...Toothpick. Get it? Oy Vey.
    I said, ok I'll go hang out, listen to some music, have a drinky-poo,
maybe see some folks I know. Y'know be social. I prepared dinner. Then after
my complexly prepared deli sandwich; i walked through the kitchen...the
swiffer drew me to it with it's mop magneticism.
    I assembled it properly, and proceeded to dustmop my entire house.  I
felt like Judy Jetson with my futuristic mop.  My roomate said if they found
out I'm this excited about a mop, they'll commandeer all my punk rock
t-shirts. I could have made a whole new cat with just the fur from
underneath the radiators. I could have gone out and been social. But I have
to work at 10 tomorrow morning.

HONEY & AUNT SADIE, ME, MEGAN CEASETOCARE AND THE RECORD STORE.
    Honey & Aunt Sadie, you're right. That new International Airport record
is reallllly niiiiice.
    And Megan ceasetocare from Virginia. I too am from Virginia. Which part
are you from? Have we already discussed this? And Megan, my local record
store, Plan 9, has a buncha of different Felt records in stock.
    Speaking of My Local Record Store; I did the stupid,"now that I'm
employed it's safe for me to go into the record store again" thing. Nope,
not safe. I got some fabulous records and I'm very happy listening to them.
Especially cos the only thing I can do after work is crash, it's nice to go
straight to my bed from work and make friends with my stereo.
    Record Reviews:
        Teenage Fanclub, Thirteen: Never had this one. It's nice. It
Rahhhhks. Literally. $2.00
        International Airport, Nothing We Can Control: Like floating in a
swimming pool or ocean,
        under a cloudless blue sky while slightly drunk, after having lots
of sex. Or a drizzly morning
        in bed when you've nothing to do and the cat is firmly planted next
to you. $12.99
        Wink,HereHear: Loopy, Nonsucky, techno. My friend Colin Baker had
this tape in his car.$2.00
        Royal Trux, Cats and Dogs: Never had this one either. Pure Rock.
This is *so* good. It's loud
        and out of tune. >:-) $7.00
        Steps: Step One: I could no longer resist A Deeper Shade of Blue.
$7.00
        Goldfrapp, Felt Mountain: Like Portishead, only more evil and more
Alpine. $12.99
        John Spencer Blues Explosion, Xtra Acme: More full of funk, more
full of punkrock, more
        soul, more blooooooooose ex-plo-shun. $7.00
        A free sampler with Kylie Minogue's version of the Locomotion. $0.00
        Suede, Everything Will Flow, 12": Two remixes. Not listened to it
yet. ¢90
        The Belly Dancer, The Sheik's Men: An LP of Belly Danceing Music
from Reprise's Stereo 'Pop
        Series' from 1961. Haven't listened to it yet. Still digging the
cheesey description on the
        back of the album. ¢90.

QUESTIONS THAT I CAN'T FIND THE ANSWERS TO
    - Who can tell me what the name of the Cut La Roc song is that sounds
like someone walking in
    corduroy trousers at the beginning. I've heard it's Daft Punk instead
too.
    -Who has a copy of Pussy Galore's "Exile on Main Street" that they want
to tape for me?
    -"Nee, nee mun pish, chan pai dee kwa"...What is this?
    -Have you fellow Mac users found a acceptable mac substitute for
napster. Please,
    *no* responses to the list on this question. If you've bothered to read
this far.
    -Who put the goblins in my car to make it not run so well?
    -Who made airplane tickets so damn expensive?
    -When are my feet gonna get used to 9 hour retail shifts?
    -Why is my cat's favorite game called "Bite Mom's Hand"?

            Goodnight, Ms. Vilkas (by the way my nickname in real life is
Willie)

P.S. I wrote this on Friday evening. Didn't want to mail it until it got
proofread. So now it's sunday and here you go. If you've found this, thanks
for reading this far.