Sinister: Fumbled Crosses

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Mon Feb 19 10:56:59 GMT 2001

Yes I know people can be entertained by Virginia Woolf and Syliva Plath, so
can I, I wasn't knocking them. Well, I was, but without good reason. I
recently read a book called "The Penguin Book of Twentieth-Century Essays"
in which VW takes the wooden spoon with "How It Strikes a Contemporary". But
somehow I struggled through it, only to find T.S. Eliot's "Tradition and the
Individual Talent" blocking my path. Edmund Wilson nearly finished me off
with "Philocetes: The Wound and the Bow". Each unto their own. I think this
stuff just reminds me of obligation. Either that or I can't get my head
round it. I liked most of the book though, Slyvia Plath fan Al Alvarez
pleasantly surprised me with "Risk" from GQ Magazine (not about the board
game). Joan Didion's in it, Lloyd Cole turned a whole generation on to Joan
Didion. It's a good book, the "Pillows and Prayers" of non-fiction*. "Time
of Arrival" by Dan Jacobson is my favourite, about a South African in
London.

I do like the ugly and stupid, as long as it's harmless, but I wouldn't say
I preferred it. For instance, I really like the subnormal Black Sabbath
roadie riffing on one of the Foxgloves' songs ("Second Hand"?), but not to
the exclusion of more delicate offerings, like the Welthorpe penned "Stop
the Bus I Want a Wee-Wee".

Am I right in thinking the next Papercuts will be out to coincide with ATP?

Goalmouth scrambles are virtually unheard of in Spain, it's all thirty-five
yard aerial benders. I want normal goals, and for spectacular goals to
remain special. I have a lot of faith in Real Sociedad.

Duke turns his attentions to Peacock Johnson this week. Not much to disagree
with this time, but a stimulating read nevertheless.

I bet Anthony Powell didn't do his own dusting.

Peter

*No it isn't, but it would be good if it was.