Sinister: Can you hear this / Or should I / Turn it up?

Jason McKinnon megatherion5 at xxx.com
Mon Feb 19 20:46:09 GMT 2001

Pinefox smiled and said:

 >>> Who is the person who said something like the
response to a work of art should be a work of art?

 >>>Many have said things like this. Some of them have
been 'artists'. (can you believe i put THOSE greater than signs on myself??)

Too true, but two truths don't make a left.

 >>> What were his exact words?

Written down from his own memories into a series of symbols and connotations
that we call language?

>>>Here's Ezra Pound in sunny June 1922:

>>>The best criticism of any work, to my mind the only
>>>criticism of any work of art that is of permanent or
>>>even moderately durable value, comes from the creative
>>>writer or artist who does the next job; and *not*, not
>>>ever from the young gentlemen who make generalities
>>>about the creator. Laforgue's Salomé is the real
>>>criticism of Salammbo; Joyce and perhaps Henry James
>>>are critics of Flaubert.

Gotta love the man that first made the Afro and sideburns look popular.

AUSTIN ALLEGRO

 >>> And the correspondence between words and things in
>>>the world is imperfect.

>>>That depends on what kind of thing you think words
>>>are, and what kind of work you think they do, and who
>>>(human beings vs god, for instance) put them to that
>>>work. In a sense my view on this is: there is no
>>>extra-linguistic way of knowing about the shortcomings
>>>of words in 'corresponding' to things; so to talk
>>>about imperfect correspondence may be a wrong turn.

You are going about it from the wrong end. THe orignal thought (thought1)
resides within a person...that's the purest form of that thought. When we
try to communicate that thought in the many forms of communication it
becomes garbled by:

A) our ability to comunicate
B)the person's ability to negate who they are and listen
c) the resulting synergy thereof

>>>Believe it or not, I once tried to stick something on
>>>this issue on the 'internet'. But the correspondence
>>>between my intentions and the effects of the
>>>electronic world was most imperfect.

PineFox, I do believe you have the same twisted sense of humor as I do.
Seems like you'd like to agree with us...but for the sake of argument.....
:)

 >>> It would be useful to talk about something on its
own terms, but what are these terms?

>>>I think that's a relevant question. 'Conversation' is
>>>a helpful image again: a dialogue between the terms
>>>that we take an object to provide, and the terms we
>>>(unavoidably) bring to it. We can try, maybe, to keep
>>>the conversation polite and respectful, and hope that
>>>the two sets of terms will learn from each other;
>>>although in some cases (avant-garde art; political
>>>criticism) that may not be the point.

Conversation is a good word, but communication is better. All of the things
we do on this planet involve it. I know that at this moment
"pure"communication is inpossible. That's communication where there is no
him or you, only it.

And HEGEL says.."wait! that's not what I meant!"

THE Pickle Prince