Sinister: What is Hibernaculum anyway?

Jon Botterman j.botterman at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 20 12:11:51 GMT 2001

Hello gentle reader

    Just wading through the stack of sinister e-mails and I notice a
whole discussion a rhumblin' on about Sylvia Plath and I thought I'd
stick my oar in. I had a brief encounter with her poetry a few years
ago. Recommended to me by a friend I read a selection of her poetry, but
before long I realised it was one  of those things that you're supposed
to read and think about. Analyse it maybe and then finally "get" it. I
couldn't be bothered so I decided to read them as if she was just a kind
old lady who kept bees and had a big dog. Looked at in this way, her
poems are delightfully whimsical and perhaps suggest she was a fan of
early British wrestling. She went to the hospital for a hip replacement
but she didn't like the atmosphere there. Everyone so miserable and the
cold draughts weren't fixed when she told the nurses. I saw my friend a
few weeks later but he told me that I just didn't get her work. "Ah", I
said, "maybe it is you who doesn't understand, do you see, do you, do
you, do you, do you? Ah!". He never recommended any more poetry to me.
Personally I like John Hegley. He makes me laugh on the bus.
    I told myself that I'd have some B+S content for this e-mail so I'll
just mention them hear at the end. Have you heard them? they're really
quite good you know. Got a good beat.

Thanks for your time and think of me always,

Jon.