Sinister: I want to be your canary

MIWinship at xxx.com MIWinship at xxx.com
Wed Feb 21 00:48:44 GMT 2001

These things, you'll find, currently irritate my mind:

FAVOURITE TV CHARACTERS

I had a look at the nominations for yet another Channel 4 "100 best ever",
cheap saturday night nostalgia programmes and whilst most of the selections
were reasonable and/or predictable it got me thinking about the ones they
could have had. eg. There was Mrs Peel but no Steed, Napoleon Solo but no
Ilya Kuryakin, the Fonz but no Ralf Malf.... the list goes on. Most glaring
omission: where was Agent Cooper? (Or Albert Rosenfield?)

COMPUTER GAMES

Final Fantasy 9 will be GRATE. Just like all the others. I've only
experienced an hour or so, but new card games, moogles and chocobos will
obsess me for the forseeable future. I know nothing of "Planescape: Torment
or Loom", whatever that/they is/are. I do know that I would rather sit
through a two minute summon spell animation than two seconds of Robot Wars,
anyday.

NEW ALBUMS

Mr Malkmus makes me smile. The sample of Yul Brynner at the start of Jo Jo's
Jacket made for ideal haircutting accompaniment, today. Not as short as the
King of Siam's, but nearly.
Tortoise. They're good.

POETRY

Can't say I've been paying much attention to all the recent discussions, but
there's this one poem on the tube that I've seen a few times now and I can't
decide if it's any good. Erm, I think the first line goes "Last night I saw
creation". Can't remember who wrote it either, but other London Sinisterines
can now have fun trying to find it and give their opinion. There was
something about a ring, too. And planets. And light.

BELLE and SEBASTIAN

Likeliness of 2001 Troubled Teenagers coinciding with new releases? High.

PAUL VERHOEVEN

So, I thought I'd watch Showgirls and see what the fuss was about. It was
nearly so-bad-it's-good, but was actually just bad. Kyle MacLachlan just
isn't a good villain (unless he's posessed by Bob). Furthermore it meant I
missed the start of Hard Eight on the other side, which was excellent. What I
saw of Starship Troopers tonight was also pretty good. A return to form for
Verhoeven. And Doogie Howser (MD) was in it. Elena was frequently disgusted
by the bugs (Hello flatmate!)

SHELVES

Putting up shelves is an arduous task, but I think the end results are worth
it, don't you?

Anyway....

Mike.