Sinister: Too much music won't kill you

Koen De Crock koendcr at xxx.com
Wed Feb 21 17:00:51 GMT 2001

Okay,

Yesterday I wrote to this wonderful list for the first time in a long
while... and, okay, I was bad-tempered, and I know some people don't like
bad-tempered people. Well, anyway, sometimes you have one of these days that
you just want to forget as quickly as you can, when you wish every single
person that comes near to you to go to hell, when the only thing you want to
do is sit down, relax and listen to some damn good music, which actually is
what I did last night, listening to music I mean, not wishing people to go
to hell. Like I said, yesterday I read some more of Kafka's "Das Prozess", a
difficult book but certainly worthwhile reading it, because it is so well
written, while listening to Sonic Youth's "Goo LP". Don't you just love
Sonic Youth? I mean, these crazy old wankers are 45 years old, Kim and
Thurston are married, they should be living a life like my parents life!
But, noooooooooooooonononononono...no they still make crazy music for
slightly crazy people with slightly twisted minds. Anyway, imho Sonic
Youth's "Goo LP" is their best ever. It's their most "commercial" album,
what the heck,... it's their breakthrough album. But, it's absolutely
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat and sooooo yummy: Kim's sexy voice in "Goo", the
fucked up noise at the end of "Mildred Pierce", the best instrumental ever
written and a real mind-blower at parties, the brilliant pop-melodies in
"Dirty Boots", ... and a million of other reasons I cannot think of right
now but that make me say this is one of the best albums of all time (imho,
of course).

Anyway, new B&S stuff coming up... This

makes

me

   so

      excited
... because I always wanted to hear what a B&S soundtrack would sound like,
what kind of movie they would make a soundtrack for,...
And... a tour coming up.... which
			    makes
                                     me
                                            even
                                                      more
                                                               excited
.... because I've actually never seen them live. They came to Belgium once,
I bought my tickets... and then I got illl, so I couldn't go.
So, please, if any of you members of B&S sometimes write to this list, take
note of my cravings... and play a gig, if even one song, in Belgium.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOLDPLAY
What's all the fuzz about this band. I like them, there, I said it.........
They have a bunch of good tunes, they don't have a shitty attitude like the
Gallagher brothers, they are absolutely brill' live... And yeah, of course
they have this dull-indie-image,, and of course they will never be the
better of Radiohead, or B&S or... but I like them. And I think all the
people who don't like them just can't stand it that a band that once had a
lot of indie-credibility started selling millions and trillions and
gazillions of records. Admit it, you wankers... you're just jealous. I bet
you all play in a band and want to be famous too but you can't be because
you're singing or guitar playing is worse than my neighbour's cat's. Anyway,
cut the crap, I like Coldplay, especially "Don't Panic"

NEW RECORDS
Stephen Malkmus, Tortoise, Jim White, John Frusciante, G-Stone book (Kruder
and Dorfmeister anthology), Sybarite, Bonnie Prince Billy, Motorpsycho, Low,
Japancakes, Tarentel, Halifax Pier, Sophia, Radiohead, Boards of Canada,
Tahiti 80, Ladytron, all Bedhead albums rereleased, Leonard Cohen's live
album, Arab Strap, Reissue of Marvin Gayes "What's going on", My Morning
Jacket, etc... all these albums are equally worth buying and are already
released or will be released very very very very soon. Go out and buy them,
		 or if you don't have any money, use your credit card,
				 or your sisters credit card,...
						or just steal them

CONCERTS.
I'm so excited. "Why??" you ask. well, I'm going to see three of my all-time
favorite bands in concert over the next few weeks. First up is Low, like I
sead yesterday, imho the best pop-band of all time, then Tortoise, together
with L'altra and 'the Sea and the Cake', this will be a very good
post-rocky, arty farty night with lots of beautiful indie, hippie kind of
girls and lots of pseudo-intellectual guys (interesting), and third is Will
Oldham aka Bonnie Prince Billie aka Palace (Songs or Music, or whatever),
the best and saddest and happiest and sickest and most talented troubadour
of the moment.
I'll be trying to tape these concerts on MiniDisc, not very good quality
though...

WORLDLY INJUSTICE
Sometimes the world makes me so sick and at the same time i think that I
should do something about it, make a difference, start a rebellion,
whatever.... I watched the news yesterday: people losing their jobs,
earthquakes in India and El salvador without the western world giving
adequate support and help, Palestinians dying in Israël due to Sharon being
stubborn and just an utter fool, hunger and civil war in Guinée,etc.... I
mean, there's so much injustice  and all we do here in our perfect little
rich western world is sit back and relax and listen to music and do
pointless jobs that just gain more money for our rotten capitalist system.
But, hell, I think I don't have the courage to get up and do something about
it, anything.... go to Africa for Doctors without Frontiers, the Red Cross,
Oxfam, Amnesty,...
But, when I grow iup there will be a day that I will get up and do it my
way!!!!

Enough diversions... back to the music... .

I am asking anyone on this list again. Please send me a "Felt" tape, any
"Felt" tape... I heard so many good things about them, downloaded some of
their songs from Napster,and of course absolutely adored them. I could
download more, but in one way or another trading tapes seems a cooler and a
less anti-social thing to do. Anyone who can send me a "Felt" tape will get
a reward, not just any reward... but some very good mix-tapes.

Okay, I have to go now. Going home, eating, music, down to the pub, watching
Anderlecht-Leeds, drinking, and then sleeping... (not very exciting, but
anyway)

Take Care

K-man who doesn't care what people think of him as long as he can do what he
wants, smoke what he wants, listen to the music he likes and love who he
wants.

Still, too many cigarettes will kill you, but they taste so good.