Sinister: The Voice of Skepticism

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Fri Feb 23 15:37:23 GMT 2001

Hello,
	I really ought to have posted days ago with this content, but
I am lazy. And I wanted to read all the messages I haven't before
posting. However, the timely nature now forces me to post prior to
reading the messages...
	Regarding the B&S secret gig. Take it with a grain of salt. I
ran into various members of Belle & Sebastian at last week's Low
concert in New York. Stuart seemed to think it highly unlikely that
they would even be back in Glasgow for the election itself. Recording
the soundtrack to the mystery movie is taking much longer than they
thought it would by the sound of things. Another point to consider, I
asked Richard if there was any chance they'd play a secret gig or
something since they were already in New York, and he said there was
no chance, because they hadn't played in something like two years,
and with all the recording they would not have time to practice.
Consider, they were still in New York on Wednesday at midnight for
certain, as Neil popped into IRC chat prior to going back to play a
tambourine part. So for them to do a gig tonight, they would have had
to rocket home to Glasgow yesterday, and spend all afternoon today
jetlagged & practicing...and that's IF they finished the soundtrack
Wednesday night or if they're taking a break or something. Maybe this
is so important to the band that they will do it, but...well I'm
skeptical. So if the gig doesn't happen, don't be too surprised.
	Anyway, other interesting content tidbits gleaned from
talking to Stuart and Richard (mostly): Stuart did indeed once go to
London mainly looking for Lawrence from Felt. The Loneliness of the
Middle-Distance Runner's title is a reference to Alan Sillitoe's
short story, but the lyrics aren't based off of it, though the mood
is similar. The aforementioned soundtrack was originally slated to be
an hour of the movie, with someone else doing the rest of the movie.
However that fell through and now they're doing the entire 2 and a
half hours of the movie. This is why recording has taken them so much
longer than they thought. The soundtrack only has a few 'proper'
songs (2 or 3 if memory serves) and a lot of it is filled with
incidental music, etc. They're working closely with the mystery
director of the movie in the recording of this (apparently why they
went to New York). As in he's there to say things like "No, no, no,
it's all wrong!" He probably never said that though. They're watching
the movie as they record, so as to get the cues right. Some of the
songs had been written beforehand and some of them were written in
the studio. Also, they weren't certain that the soundtrack would see
proper release. However, Matador & Jeepster were footing the bill for
the hotel & the trip, so make your own conclusions. Oh, and they're
really enjoying the recording process a lot by the sound of things.
	Whew! Crazy stuff. Well that's all I can report. And I have a
million things to do so I must go. But potential Glasgow secret gig
attendees, be ready for anything. That's all I'm saying...

--
Brian Pennington, aka Mick McMick | cellophanesky at mac.com | AIM: emceeX3
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>