Sinister: what time is it if there's a pie on the clock tower in wigan?

chris perriman room_30 at xxx.com
Fri Feb 23 16:50:01 GMT 2001

HI!!!

glasgow seems such a cool place.  if there was anywhere in the world i could
live it would be glasgow or new york, both cities just exude (sp?) a certain
quality like if they were film stars they'd be errol flynn and clark gable,
just the coolest you can possibly be.  both have incredibly rich musical
heritages, i suppose it's like billy connoly's theory about why certain
cities are funny, the mix of races and cultures.  manchester's jewish and
irish populations, newcastle's scottish population, london's mix of
everything.  new york is, i suppose, just a huge mass of different cultures
all alien to where they are (exvcept the native americans but i don't
suppose you get many of them walkind down broadway or wall street).  i have
been to neither cities but i will have a manhattan loft sometime in the
future (a boys gotta dream).  actually i've heard that american tv shows use
toronto to film in coz it looks more like chicago or new york than chicago
or new york do!.  i have been to toronto though.  great place, all i can
really remember though is the heat (40 degrees c) and the posters everywhere
advertising the sex pistols reunion tour that rolled through a few days
after i left (which i was bummed about as i was 16 and had just been
introduced to punk through a friends brother)
what was i talking about? oh yeah other places but home.  i *need* to get
out of the parental home, it's driving me nuts.  i suppose thinking about
moving out made me think about moving to glasgow or other cool places but i
suppose newcastle in't that bad, it's pretty cool actually but very insular.
  edinburgh, 100 miles north, or leeds, 100 miles south, are the nearest
civilisations of any real size or importance and although i do have friends
there it's nigh on 20 quid for a bus or train ticket and even that is way
out of my budget.  god i'm rambling but i havent done it in ages so i'm
allowed.

the french have no word for double entendre, but they call a rugby player
'le rugbyman' so we're both to fault.

by the way, who are wheatus? they are like, top 5 in the charts and i've
never heard the song.  and they seem like the kind of band i would like to
have heard of (if that made any 1sense)   i don't mind if i haven't heard
the latest britney or steps offering but they seem like a proper band with
proper instruments and they've even been in the NME so why no airplay? man,
i'm campaigning for a band i've never heard, so i'll stop and campaign for a
band i *have* heard...

...but i carnt think of anybody worth mentioning at the mo, 'cept belle and
sebastian, heard of them?, i hear they're touring soon, you should all go
see them (like there's any chance of *that* not happening)

OOOOH  thought of one, calexico.
fantastic
zoe charaktinou said she'd ordered the new album, have you got it yet?
what's it like?
mark and lard have been playing the new single constantly.

i saw them at the leeds festival during the summer.  after crowd surfing to
the gloriously triumphant primal scream, who were second last to oasis on
the final night, i shot off up the hill to the tiny little tent where the
new bands played (partly to miss the *dire* oasis) and cought the first two
songs calexico played but i had to leave coz the sweatline round my neck was
actually around my waist and the soundcheck took forever and standing in a
draughty tent wearing soaking clothes is not good for your health and i
couldn't hear coz of my chattering teeth and i thought hypothermia was
coming on, (but *only* those reasons) i went back to the campsite to get
warmed up by the fire.
i liked the irony of my choice of clothing that night, my bright red 'kill
all hippies' t-shirt and a pair of huge mud-encrusted flares.

somebody mentioned harry potter. if you havent read the books yed then do so
now.
the first book was reprinted with a more adult cover coz so many people were
reading it on the train to work or whatever and were getting embarassed by
the kids cover.

i liked the touches that teletext gave the interview with stuart, stuff like
'ease your feet into the music news, page 563' and 'i could be dreaming of
the charts, page 567' completely naff but funny all the same

the meek shall inherit the earth.  but then we'll sell if for a fortune, buy
mars and rename it 'the fantabulously red planet of fun, fun and belle and
sebastian'.

bye
pez*

www.pez.com - the wonderful world of pez ;0)

ivorytowers.8m.com - ivory towers records