Sinister: fold yr. skinny hands, child, you lift them to heaven

Ewan Dunbar dunbare at xxx.net
Mon Feb 26 03:40:37 GMT 2001

so here I am, excited by everything, excited by the world, frightened and
depressed, and enlightened and impressed by gybe!'s not-so-new-anymore
album.

and gee, i think. aren't "fold your hands child, you walk like a peasant"
and "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven" varry similar titles
for albums? coincidence? well, what with the close-together times at which
the two records were produced and release, yeah. but it's neat anyway.

furthermore, gybe! say they won't be touring until this summer. from this,
i can conclude that they WILL be touring this summer, or soon thereafter
(although that sort of thing has been misleading before. i like that.

as for belle and sebastian touring, well, that is super-faboo beyond words,
and I can only hope they'll come to canada. they will, of course. at least,
I should hope so. legal man was on the charts for four weeks here, and hit
those charts at number as many. not that they're a household name, either.
I mean, that's a singles chart. and a sales chart at that. so really, since
really there isn't much of a singles market in canada, it doesn't mean
anything, except that a bunch of b&s fans crawled out and bought legal man,
and others did too, but no one ever heard it on the radio for all that! not
here, I mean. not on mainstream radio, I mean. and, oh, how the radio, the
ONLY radio we can get here in stratford, is mainstream. hélas.

and so, where was I going with this? ah, yes. it won't be february 25th for
much longer in this time zone. I give it an hour and fifty minutes. but
while it is, let's feast for Bl. Sebastian. see, I looked in the book of
saints, and sadly I could only find cyril/methodius's feast day listed
under july (june?) 7th, and not on feb 14 as someone said. but on the
internet I found a couple of references to it being on other days. and one
of them was feb 14, so there one goes. But anyway, out of curiosity, I
looked at the list for today, and it said "Bl. Sebastian". Turns out he was
some mexican fellow who died in, iirc, 1600, and i forget why he was
beatified, but that's what the "bl." means. well, it means "blessed", i.e.
he's not St, he's Bl. i'm not a catholicism expert, so i dunno what the
next step after beatification is, that makes you a saint. it says in the
book. two more miracles need to take place, anyway. well, let me tell you
something, popey. IT'S A BLUDDY MIRACLE IF SOMEONE CAN PERFORM _ONE_
MIRACLE AFTER THEY'RE DECEASED. so Bl. Sebastian couldn't pull it off.
well, big whoop. the book says to even get beatified he needed to have
performed two already. come on! two miracles, that's pretty good! and who
knows, maybe he performed a third after he died! well, they should count
that as a miracle then, too! but I'm not complaining. because if he was
made a saint, we wouldn't be able to call him "Bl. Sebastian", now would
we? i don't pretend to understand the whole process.

and by the way, on the subject of our similarly-named friends, do we know
what's to be on these new singles? you know, I just recently heard isobel's
"landslide", and I think that would be a perfect match for the feller who
produced "downtown." what was his name? mike hurst? something like that.
something i should know... anyway, i bet that's on one of them. i mean,
it's perfect for release. it's a neat song. and it sounds so very petula
clarkish indeed.

anyway. one of these days, I'm gonna hear the strains of Blessed Sebastian
On The Radio. and i mean here. on mainstream here radio, and not that I
won't turn the radio right off after, cos everything ELSE on mainstream
radio is mainstream. but i dunno. it's just one of those things, y'know? i
want them to be mainstream, not because i like mainstream, but because i
like being right. that about sums it up. LOOK, THEY'RE GOOD, I TOLD YE SO!
i know what you're going to say. "oh, well, that's not what you should be
thinking. pooh on you, you go about things the wrong way." well, not to be
rude, if you were thinking of saying that, but you shut your mouth; how can
you say? human, loved, and so forth.

anyway, that's my silly post for the day, and there are now about 86
minutes remaining of Bl. Sebastian's feast day. i guess i can say i did
something in honour of him, because i made a Tart In Ymbre Day from The
Forme Of Cury. and i don't know when Ember? Day is, but maybe someone who
knows why that particular Sebastian isn't a St also knows that. and i
didn't have any "raisons" or "corrans", which is a shame, cos it's rather
boring without them. but i made it slightly more interesting, replacing
some of the breadcrumbs with not too bad chese of Chedar.

like ah said, that's my silly post for today. more time has elapsed... mark
your calendars for next year.. or those of you in more westerly time zones,
do something grate for Bl. Sebastian.

here, at last, i go, into the ether...