Sinister: If Canada Dry is the champagne of gingerales, does that make Vernor's the rye?

M. Curtin mecurtin at xxx.ca
Tue Feb 27 01:46:47 GMT 2001

Hi
I'll try to make this quick and painless, as my posts, though few in number,
are great in dread.  It's just that I have to write 2000 words on the
Baedeker Blitz for tomorrow, and I've exhausted all other procrastination
activities, hence my resort to posting.  (Incidentally, anyone with grannies
and grandpas from Exeter or, conversely, Lubeck, are welcome to offer me
primary accounts of area bombing, as it really does make excellent party
conversation...)

So, here are Marybeth's 14 Points, if you like, though you probably won't
like them.

1.    I had a dream last night that for some reason I was being interviewed
for lifetime achievement (HA!) and someone asked me what was the inspiration
for my life and I said something to the effect of: "Why, it's all just an
Arlo Guthrie song!"
How random can that be???????

2.    Wouldn't it be fantasmic if a certain Mr. Murdoch rewrote The
Beautiful South's "Song for Whoever" and changed all the names to his little
muses?  Lazy Jane, Photo Jenny, Judy and Lis(a) oh i forget your
name........ Okay, I'm obviously not a songwriter, but you get the idea.
I'm sure someone has a greater grasp of syllabification than me.

3.    I was watching someone get an elbow replacement on tv the other day
and this occurred to me: What would happen if the world ended while you were
in surgery?  Think about it, kidlets, and report back to me.

4.    In "Celia of the Seals" is Donovan trying to emulate seal sounds with
that weird, nonsensical singing?  If you know the song, you know the part i
mean.  It really creeped me out, but i still like the song.  It's no
Barabajagal, but anything about seals can't be All Bad.

5.    I miss Hinterland Who's Who.

6.    Cigarettes and wine gums DO NOT mix well.

7.    Orangina and wine gums DO NOT mix well.

8.    Actually, nothing really mixes well with winegums.

9.    I have a cat named Stella and she IS the devil.  The strange part is
that during the one "cute" moment of her life, she dipped her paw into her
water dish and proceeded to wash her face with it.  I almost forgot about
all the times she has bitten and maimed me in the past when i saw that.
Then I noticed she was using her left paw.  Sinister after all......

10.    I really like the song "Belle and Sebastian," as opposed to just the
band.  I think it's cute.  I like all the Sebastian songs, even though I
should technically prefer the Belle ones.

11.    Why do people look at me funny when I buy flowers for myself?
Moreover, why doesn't anyone buy flowers for me?

12.    Did John Steinbeck EVER actually come up with an original title for a
story?  Who cares, it's just another reason to hate him.

13.    Is it just me, or are kids getting shorter these days?

14.    Does anyone else know the story of the Erie Belle?  I love this
story, as it was part of my childhood.  One can still see the decaying
smokestack of the Erie Belle on the beaches of Lake Huron - somewhere near
Kincardine.  I don't know what I'll do when the Erie Belle is gone for
good - it seems like a potentially good friend.

Alright, that's enough rambling.  Try not to hold it against me.

Yours, unfortunately,
Marybeth

(P.S. There will be a prize for spotting all the superfluous commas in this
piece - I JUST COULDN"T PAUSE CORRECTLY!)