Sinister: Dance me to the end of love

Ian Nicolson imnicolson at xxx.com
Tue Feb 27 12:58:26 GMT 2001

Hello pussycats

'Eastenders - everyone's talking about it'.  Are they arse! No one at all at
my work talks about Eastenders, and I've got so much to say. Isn't the whole
point of working to partake in idle chit-chat about soap operas? I think I
need a new job. But it's all gone a bit 'Who Shot Mr. Burns?', hasn't it? My
bet's on Chloe.

Scouring the Scotch papers this weekend, I happened upon a couple of tiny
mentions of Belle & Sebastian - neither of which is news in any way
imaginable, but perhaps midly diverting none the less.
In the first one, from Friday's Scotsman, Craig McLean dreams up a Scottish
alternative to the Brits, called, imaginatively, the Scots:
"The Cardinal Winning Holier Than Thou Tower (made from finest ivory) is
bestowed upon Belle & Sebastian. This is to mark just how precious they are
(to us all). Unfortunately band leader Stuart Murdoch can't be with us
tonight, as he's still puggled after making an album and doing a press
conference about a year ago. Instead, he sent us this video message: 'Could
someone take my copy of My Ain Folk back to Azad please?'"
I chuckled.
Then in the Sunday Herald on, erm, Sunday, David Keenan's review of a Texas
concert said:
"Stuff like In Our Lifetime is only narrowly saved from being soft-focus pap
by guitarist Andy McErlane who insists on letting rip with this gnarly,
endearingly stupid garage punk riff, but for the most part he looks as if
he'd rather be playing in Belle & Sebastian."
I'm not sure what he means.

Ewan Dunbar babbled about the Blessed Sebastian. Two miracles isn't bad, but
spare a thought for poor old St. Sebastian. Despite stopping a plague, which
is pretty good going, Diocletian still ordered him to be shot to death with
arrows. Bastard. But he recovered! Hurrah! So they beat him to death with
clubs instead. Boo! And to add to his woes, God (and his Celestial Angel
Committee, presumably) then made him the patron saint of archers! 'Bloody
archers', he must have thought, 'I've had it up to here with archers!'
And two miracles is probably a lot better than St. Sithney managed. He, I'm
sure you'll all agree, was a pretty crap saint. Sithney had a vision in
which God told him to be the patron saint of lovely girls, but he didn't
fancy it as girls would plague him for husbands and pretty dresses all the
time, so he became the patron of mad dogs instead. So if your dog goes mad,
offer up a decade of the Rosary to Sithney, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Next week on the Bibliotheca Sanctorum mailing list: The story of St. Zita
and the angels baking her loaves while she was rapt with ecstasy and St.
Leander's conversion of the Visigoths!

Tim Malone mused:
>I just love Leonard Cohen. I wish I could find
>the original 4-tracks of his albums though, cause I think
>they would be absolutely fab without the bloody awefull
>backup singers
Och, stuff and nonsense! Without the backing singers what would there be for
me to whistle to make people think 'Ooh, he likes Leonard Cohen! What a
pretentious twat'. And they provide a lovely counterpoint to our favourite
randy mysoginist buddhist's tuneless caterwaul (and later growl). Anyways,
he just wouldn't be as funny without his singers.

I think that's maybe enough. Can't wait for Eastenders tonight...

Ian N.