Sinister: she's aware it's all been done before

emma discovery emma_discovery at xxx.com
Tue Feb 27 16:12:27 GMT 2001

these first posts must get tiresome, but please endure
yet another. I've been on the list in various guises
for a while, but I've been too intimidated by the cool
kids to post until now. I'm a texan currently living
in boston, where I know not a soul and where I thus
spend all my time and money on books and records and
public transportation to fill in the gaps. sometimes I
think it was a mistake to come here, and then I go out
walking at three in the morning humming pop songs and
no one tells me I'm going to freeze to death or get
mugged or that I have class in the morning, and I
realize I'd be unhappy anywhere, so I might as well be
2,000 miles from almost anyone who knows anything
about me. and I'm just barely young enough that I can
get away with saying things like that without it being
completely vomit-inducing. I think.

ian nicolson:
>Och, stuff and nonsense! Without the backing singers
what would there
>be for me to whistle to make people think 'Ooh, he
likes Leonard Cohen!
>What a pretentious twat'. And they provide a lovely
counterpoint to our
>favourite randy mysoginist buddhist's tuneless
caterwaul (and later growl).
>Anyways, he just wouldn't be as funny without his
singers.

this is absolutely correct. besides, for truly
obnoxious and inappropriate female backup singers, see
elvis costello's painted from memory album (hi jay!).
makes the backup singers on leonard cohen's records
sound subtle in comparison.

I read a magazine from a few years ago over the
weekend that had entries for "bands you won't find in
the trouser press guide" and the bit on belle and
sebastian talked about the monica queen vocal being
"misplaced" or "misguided" or somesuch and being
rumored to have been done by isobel. I don't remember
ever running across that particular "rumor," but I
thought it was funny at the time.

exams will do that to a person.

and with that, it's time to go back to work on what my
professor calls the "road to financial ruin," also
known as my english degree.

good night,
emma