Sinister: she's aware it's all been done before

jay declan63 at xxx.com
Tue Feb 27 20:16:30 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "emma discovery" <emma_discovery at xxx.com>
To: <sinister at missprint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 11:12 AM
Subject: Sinister: she's aware it's all been done before

> ian nicolson:
> >Och, stuff and nonsense! Without the backing singers
> what would there
> >be for me to whistle to make people think 'Ooh, he
> likes Leonard Cohen!
> >What a pretentious twat'. And they provide a lovely
> counterpoint to our
> >favourite randy mysoginist buddhist's tuneless
> caterwaul (and later growl).
> >Anyways, he just wouldn't be as funny without his
> singers.
>
> this is absolutely correct. besides, for truly
> obnoxious and inappropriate female backup singers, see
> elvis costello's painted from memory album (hi jay!).
> makes the backup singers on leonard cohen's records
> sound subtle in comparison.

either i embarrassingly don't recognize miss discovery (which is rather
likely) and she's heard me discuss this before, or we just happen to share a
psychic link.  PFM is not a *bad* album, and after all, bacharach can do
some really good, cool stuff, but when the 80s schmaltz bacharach mode comes
crashing down, with tacky keyboards and backing vocals, most incriminatingly
on "such unlikely lovers", i really must run and hide.

either way, hello to you too, emma!

speaking of disappointments, i ordered the new pornographers' album after
reading absolutely raving reviews and being unable to find it in any stores,
and............well.........it's pretty good.  nothing really original, but
all done well.  i must say though, that the kindercore/E6 womb has to take a
breather and stop spitting out bands.  not all these bands are on those
labels, but you probably know the sound i'm talking about.  especially the
bouncy piano thing.  (the jaded music critic enters the room)  that's got to
stop.  especially when paired with that childish style of indie voice, like
the guy in wolfie.  (they both sing similarly, but one just rubs me the
wrong way for some reason)  koufax wins my approval for not clinging to it
and actually having a diverse album, but i was worried for a while.

what i mean to say is, it's all good pop, but variety is greatly
appreciated.  (and, more selfishly, it's hard to write about bands that
sound alike without really straining for new adjectives :) )  IMHO, the
zombies perfected it with "care of cell 44" 34 years ago, and it has not
been bested.  i urge everyone to give a listen to the "odessey and oracle"
(sic) album.  rod argent deserves a ton of money.  and he's a really nice
guy, as are the rest of them, so give 'em a try if you haven't before.

whew.  thanks for letting me get that out.  i feel much better.  :)

now will someone please tell nick cave that there are people in the south
who like him as much as he likes the south?  those lollapalooza hecklers
seem to have made him swear off venturing below the mason-dixon, and you
know it's a crying shame.  (especially when he's got neko case and her
boyfriends opening up......only in california! ohhhh the pain)

jay, who's posted twice in 24 hours?!

"it goes without saying that we can't turn him loose.  he'd report us at
once to some kind of outback nazi law enforcement agency and they'll run us
down like dogs"