Sinister: until tomorrow i'll just keep moving on

Rachel Playforth Something.Pretty at xxx.com
Wed Feb 28 04:52:38 GMT 2001

blimey, it's all gone rather surreal in b&s world, what with hoax gigs,
multiple identities, releasing new material...  whatever next?

ever feel haunted by past comments?  i just received an sweet email from the
original singer of the littlest hobo theme (yes!), which i raved about on
sinister around the time it was used on the natwest adverts.  he thanked me
for my compliments, told me about his new album 'maybe tomorrow', and
directed me to his website.  i was quite excited by this, but it got me
hoping that the archives never provoke less pleasant responses.  'you
slagged off my novel in 1998, here's a virus that will utterly destroy your
hard drive'.

mark has already summarised the rather non-sinister but still rather fab
brighton meet-up, so i won't dwell on his apparent intention to empty all
brighton's record shops of stock, nor the rum (definitely not the rum), nor
the fact that i learnt the adjective for 'heron-like', which i've now
forgotten, nor the toast.  it was all good clean fun, though now mark has
outed me as an early supporter of pete waterman's evil empire, he won't be
invited back...  oh, and in case anyone wondered, i'm not actually *married*
to mr jamie t conway... i wonder if mark is expecting people to remember
jamie from his melody maker days?  not impossible i suppose, i'm told he
actually did have fans.  and, even better if you're a young music
journalist, enemies.

now, i must say something about dating.  grr.  for a long while i was sure
such a stupid concept couldn't really exist, or not in britain anyway, maybe
in the kind of america portrayed by my judy blume books and 'girltalk',
which i read at a highly impressionable age and panicked because i didn't
get half the references, being english.  what the hell was the difference
between pants and panties?  and which ones shouldn't you take off on a first
date?  ah yes, dating.  i have never been on a single real date in my life,
to my knowledge.  imho, if you go out for the evening with someone who you
haven't slept with, or at least snogged, then you're just friends.  why call
it a date?  where is the line between friend and date?  i say avoid the
confusion and cut to the chase.  if you go out with a nice guy/girl and end
up in bed, cool.  but why spend an evening being all anxious about
'etiquette' and 'signals'?  it's a lot less embarassing eating spaghetti in
front of someone *after* they've seen you naked.

chris pez said something about cool places to live and manhattan lofts.  i
also fully intend to own the latter some day, and in fact i think we should
club together to buy a sinister apartment block.  like in 'friends',
everybody will sleep with everybody else, gunther from the coffee house will
be played by stuart murdoch, and ugly naked guy will be... hm, couldn't
think of anything to put here without causing offence.

nice to hear from owen again, even if he was boasting about his sex appeal
while pretending to be just an overwhelmed indie kid.  we all do it, after
all.  as for lowgold, i saw them supporting grandaddy and wasn' t really
enamoured.  too angsty.  but at least they're better than
top-yourselves-please-loader.

tomorrow is my last day at work!  i'm freeee!  (to start another job.)

luv archel xxx

Rachel Playforth
'She may not be famous, but she's right' - Homer Simpson

For the best in new writing on the web, visit www.buzzwords.org.uk
Contact us on buzzwords at bigfoot.com